We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The 1620 WJDI Story  (Read 10065 times)

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
The 1620 WJDI Story
« on: February 26, 2017, 2228 UTC »
I've posted this before, but I'll kick things off with this article I wrote a few years ago about Dave Schneider and 1620 WJDI:

http://blog.amdxer.com/wjdi/

I look forward to seeing this board grow.  Please share your history and stories here!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 0104 UTC by Kilokat7 »
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: The 1620 WJDI Story
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 2141 UTC »
That transformer looks strangely like the one that disappeared from NEARFest in the same time period. Probably one of it's siblings, the story was the N'Fest one simply walked away, this one has wheels and helper animals.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 2207 UTC »
Thanks for the memories, Kilokat7. 

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 2218 UTC »
Somewhere around here I've got a picture of WJDI antenna in it's last incarnation. It was damned impressive for a bunch of guys screwing around on a shoestring and mostly surplus parts.

I've seen an FET on piece of circuit board that was supposedly part of both the WJDI and Radio Metallica transmitter. I have no reason to doubt the truth of what the fellow who showed it to me said about it's provenance. It was robust piece of circuitry to say the least.

Offline Dude111

• View Profile
The 1620 WJDI Story
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 0622 UTC »
I remember hearing them...... They used to mock the FCC like crazy,I couldnt believe what I was hearing!!!!!!

Seems like they were on air a long time......

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 1150 UTC »
For years I would see this out-of-state guy selling small parts at the DC area hamfests.  One day he told me the WJDI story.  I suppose this was Dave.  I haven’t seen him at the hamfests recently; I hope he is doing OK.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 0936 UTC by NJQA »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 2204 UTC »
Lol this is freaking ossum. 32kw cw sigs, nice.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 1233 UTC »
I was driving north to do some salmon and lake run trout fishing on Lake Erie in 1990, Chris. I hit an AM radio desert north of Pittsburgh. I was tuning around and hit them them playing AOR music at the top of the band running a fake commercial, "Cadillac: The big car for men with small penises!"

I laughed so hard, I nearly drove through the guard rail. 5 minutes later it faded away. They had a very professional sound.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 0942 UTC »
I saw Dave at the Berryville, Virginia Hamfest yesterday.  He had a large booth space outside, selling electronic parts.  I haven’t seen him at a hamfest in a long time.  He seemed to be doing well and I was able to chat with him for a few minutes.