We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Turkeys circling dead cat video  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Turkeys circling dead cat video
« on: March 04, 2017, 1256 UTC »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Turkeys circling dead cat video
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 1651 UTC »
There's a gif somewhere on innernets of 3 turkeys following each other in a infinite loop around a telephone pole or streetlight. How have they survived for so long?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 0403 UTC »
I saw that a couple of days ago. Who knows why turkeys do anything? They're dumber than cows and a lot less tasty.

Alvin York claimed that the habit of turkeys following each other single file was the thing that gave him the advantage in his Great German Turkey Shoot on the Western Front in WWI. He'd shoot the one in the rear coming down the trenches then the next one up the line. With all the noise the Germans couldn't figure out where the shooting was coming from. Alvin kept plugging them until they gave up.

I once came up on three young turkey hens sitting on a log while squirrel hunting in early November. As the season wasn't open, I wasn't interested in them, figuring they would scatter when they spotted me coming down the ridge. I kept getting closer, they didn't move. I can't figure out what's up. When I get about 7 yards away I notice those turkeys are rocking back and forth on the log. There was big bunch of wild grapes growing in the trees above them. Those turkeys were lit on the ferment grapes. I can tell you with God, or anyone else as my witness, those turkeys couldn't fly. They barely hopped off the log when I kicked it.

Crows and ravens hold a grudge. They live a long time, are incredibly intelligent, and have form of communication that lets them clue their offspring into the specific individual humans and animals in their range that are danger to the flock. They'll remember you for decades, something I've actually experienced after a misspent youth of being a groundhog bounty hunter and crow killer.

The last time I was on the old farm where did most of my crow patrol, there was a crow sitting in the top of a dead poplar overlooking the cornfield where I done much of my damage decades before. All I had was a bucket, I was heading down the hill to pick blackberries for my Mom, as she loved the things.

I was barely through the fence and turning down the hill. That old crow in the tree let out that same warning "caw" I'd last heard at fourteen in the same field. That cornfield exploded with crows beating to the pines on the ridge. My guess is that caw meant, "Beat it! It's that murderous kid grown up and these days he doesn't need a gun."

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 1725 UTC »
They also wait till you've finished washing the car.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Uncle John

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 0045 UTC »
They also wait till you've finished washing the car.

Seagulls pull that shit too... or rather drop it. For some reason they like the color white; as in the color of my truck. Also, there's what I call
the Diarrhea Express down @ Windjammer/City Beach West always encouraged by visitors to our area with "treats".
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 0117 UTC by Uncle John »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 0255 UTC »
Bluejay's are the worst. They get pissed you're the one breathing their air and dive bomb you as soon as you're in sight. They should have been eradicated along with smallpox.

Uncle John

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 2217 UTC »
Bluejay's are the worst. They get pissed you're the one breathing their air and dive bomb you as soon as you're in sight. They should have been eradicated along with smallpox.

Growing up near PDX we had laurel hedge surrounding the "property" & had robins living in them...until blue jays began taking over their territory. My dad would try & shot them with his .22 rifle. I remember once it was either breakfast or lunch & a "jay" was chasing a robin (we had Huge picture windows in the dining room) & dad promptly gets up, grabs the gun & off he goes.... and No we didn't eat any either.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns