We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "Legit" decodes  (Read 1122 times)

Offline wyzguy

• View Profile
    • Email
"Legit" decodes
« on: March 06, 2017, 0039 UTC »
How many decodes in a day or however long you record before you can be fairly confident they are legit? I bumped the display to 5 decodes and still show Australia, Singapore and Turkey at 5 and 6 decodes. I get fairly believable decodes at 2 or three during this same period.
SDRplay RSP1 and 2 / SDR Console, Sangean ATS-803A, eton E5 and E10, Yaesu FT-450D and Commradio CR-1a

Deab2ms@gmail.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: "Legit" decodes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 0116 UTC »
To a large extent, it's a judgement call.  I tend to look for closely spaced decodes, vs a total count, which is why I often post the timestamps of unusual catches. My thinking is this: False decodes are corrupted messages, several of the bits of a message are altered such that the message still passes the checksum. It is essentially a random process, and this means the bogus decodes should be spread over time.  DX openings are typically at least a few seconds, if not minutes long, so you should be able to get a few messages in a row, or at least closely spaced, when there is a legitimate opening. The more messages, the more confident I am that the decodes are real. I also consider whether or not there's a path of darkness between me and the station in question. If it is around noon at the DX station, or here, then it is not very likely that it is real (except for the US and Canadian stations that I expect to receive during the daytime).
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns