We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: USAF 11175 kHz USB 1630 UTC 6 Mar. 2017  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
USAF 11175 kHz USB 1630 UTC 6 Mar. 2017
« on: March 06, 2017, 1632 UTC »
What is the normal message traffic for 11175 kHz. I have heard five 47 character messages since 1550 UTC .
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline manfred

• germany ( NRW )
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: USAF 11175 kHz USB 1630 UTC 6 Mar. 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 1211 UTC »
It`s difficult to say what`s normal , i`ve heard messages with less than 30 Characters .

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 1851 UTC »
It varies but when the count is 130 or so something's going on somewhere, either hostilities or a exercise.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 1945 UTC »
You only need to worry if you hear them say "wing attack, plan R."
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 2230 UTC »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 1229 UTC »
Believe it or not I've heard the occasional Europirate using this frequency and not too long ago, the past two-three years. I think they got advice from that Assange guy who wrote the classic book  "How To Piss Off A Superpower And Spend Two Years Hiding In An Embassy."

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 1731 UTC »
I heard Serbs jamming triple one seven five during the klinton war on Serbia but never privateers.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 0638 UTC »
They weren't there but a couple of broadcasts after they announced they were using the frequency on one of the Europirate sites. I think it was Ali's old BB? They were warned there, too.

I want to say they moved up around the old Farmers From Holland frequency of 11440.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 0151 UTC »
There really is no real "normal" for the HF-GCS network.  Further, what becomes normal changes with time.  Coded messages might range from 9 chars (the shortest one I have in my logs, anyway) to over 250.  Similarly, there might be more than a dozen transmissions in an hour or there might be less than one.

Listeners like to make a big deal out of certain callsigns, how many times an hour messages are sent, or how many chars are in a message.  In reality there just is nothing to be made of these things.

Many messages in a short period might mean something is going on someplace, or it might simply mean they are doing training someplace, and it does not have to be one of the big name announced training exercises.  Personally I suspect the only thing that really has any meaning, however small, is exceptionally long messages.  I just doubt they will throw padding (extra nonsense information added to a message to obscure it or completely meaningless transmissions sent to foil traffic analysis attempts) on such long messages all that often.

However, I will tell you, sometimes it is also informal "training".  Maybe not on the main HF-GCS freqs, but on the discretes I would not be surprised.  I once sent a 220 character message in a format similar to the EAMs of today on an Echo Whiskey net in the Pacific.  And got a similarly long response in return.  I am sure any listeners would have thought "these guys must be talking about something important".  What we were passing was details on where to meet and what to do when we got to the PI, because liberty is an important feature in any sailors life.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns