We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Chuck Berry dead at 90  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Chuck Berry dead at 90
« on: March 18, 2017, 2229 UTC »
Chuck Berry, one of the creators of rock and roll, has died, according to police. He was 90.

St. Charles County, Missouri, police said they responded to a medical emergency on Buckner Road at approximately 12:40 p.m. Inside the home, first responders found an unresponsive man, but despite immediately administering lifesaving techniques, the 90-year-old man could not be revived. He was pronounced dead at 1:26 p.m., police said.,
The St. Charles County Police Department identified him as Charles Edward Anderson Berry Sr., better known as Chuck Berry.

The rock legend had announced in October, on his 90th birthday that he was releasing a new album.
The album, titled "Chuck," was to debut in 2017. It's his first new album in 38 years.
See: Legendary Guitarist Chuck Berry Turns 90
The "Johnny B. Goode" musician recorded the project in his native St. Louis with his longtime backing group, which includes his children Charles Berry Jr. and Ingrid Berry.

In a statement, Berry dedicated the album to his wife of 68 years, Themetta Berry, whom he refers to by her nickname, "Toddy."

"My darlin’ I’m growing old! I’ve worked on this record for a long time. Now I can hang up my shoes!" he said.

It's a fitting way for the musician, best known for his unforgettable tunes including "Johnny B. Goode," "Maybellene," "Roll Over Beethoven," "Sweet Little Sixteen," "School Days," "Rock and Roll Music," "Back in the U.S.A." and "Memphis, Tennessee," to mark his birthday. With his catchy melodies, witty lyrics and trademark guitar riffs, Berry has had an immeasurable impact on rock music.

He directly influenced the early music of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys and The Kinks. Not surprisingly, Berry was among the first group of performers inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

Among his many other accolades, Berry received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1984, was recognized at the Kennedy Center Honors in 2000 and was presented with Sweden's prestigious Polar Music Prize in 2014.

Speaking with ABC News a few years ago, Berry was asked to name the favorite songs he's written, but he said he couldn't choose one.

"Every one of them is tops with me," he said. "Every one of my children the same way."
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chuck Berry dead at 90
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 2243 UTC »
A true legend. He will be missed.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 2312 UTC »
I don't know how many guitar strings I broke trying to get "Johnny B. Goode" down listening to it by ear and recording my weak ass efforts into an old reel to reel when I was about 13? I did pick up the duck walk pretty quick.

RIP Chuck, it was a long fun run.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 1540 UTC »
I wonder if he was in the navy? They make you do the duck walk at meps.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns