We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: THE LONGEST STRETCH OF A BLANK SUN SINCE 2010  (Read 1530 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
THE LONGEST STRETCH OF A BLANK SUN SINCE 2010
« on: March 20, 2017, 1825 UTC »
The sun is currently blank with no visible sunspots and this is the 14th straight day with a blank look which is the longest such stretch since April 2010 according to spaceweather.com. Historically weak solar cycle 24 continues to transition away from its solar maximum phase and towards the next solar minimum. In April 2010 - the last time there was a two week stretch with no visible sunspots -  the sun was emerging from the last solar minimum which was historically long and deep.  There have already been 26 spotless days in 2017 (34% of the entire year) and this follows 32 spotless days last year which occurred primarily during the latter part of the year. The blank look to the sun will increase in frequency over the next couple of years leading up to the next solar minimum - probably to be reached in late 2019 or 2020.  By one measure, the current solar cycle is the third weakest since record keeping began in 1755 and it continues a weakening trend since solar cycle 21 peaked in 1980.

Full article: https://www.vencoreweather.com/blog/2017/3/20/1130-am-the-longest-stretch-of-a-blank-sun-since-2010
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: THE LONGEST STRETCH OF A BLANK SUN SINCE 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 2312 UTC »
It's nice to hear that Sol's face is finally clearing up. That was a long adolescence.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 1551 UTC »
Maunder minimum here we come. What's a few years without summers?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 1026 UTC »
Hopefully -- no Maunder minimum.... I mean, I suppose it would be interesting, except cold weather usually cuts into agricultural production, and higher food prices worldwide is something no one wants.

The amazing thing about the lack of sunspots is that there have been a few evenings / mornings where I've heard some DX on the SW BC bands, it's not like they're completely blocked out.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 1155 UTC »
The amazing thing about the lack of sunspots is that there have been a few evenings / mornings where I've heard some DX on the SW BC bands, it's not like they're completely blocked out.

I've heard quite a bit of excellent DX, especially on the lower bands. Sure, if you're an 11m operator, the lack of sunspots has got to be frustrating. But overall, the quiet solar conditions are a win.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 1854 UTC »
The net I monitor most is in the low 11Mhz range and is global, some days the band is long, others it's short. Croughton just came in weakly as I write, but yesterday the hf band was almost dead and I was worried my fancy sdr was in dire straights.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns