We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WHYP "Jay Smilkstein Memorial Show" eQSL  (Read 4521 times)

JoeFLIPS

WHYP "Jay Smilkstein Memorial Show" eQSL
« on: March 15, 2017, 1722 UTC »
Thanks for the eQSL JB!  :)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: WHYP "Jay Smilkstein Memorial Show" eQSL
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 1843 UTC »
Is that a canary yellow Pinto in the background? That might be the strangest sight in the pic. I didn't think Pinto's survived the last Ice Age?

To this day I can't listen to Al Weiner's show on WBCQ without expecting Jay to make his last minute call. He was WBCQ's shining star. I think we've all witnessed it's decline since Jay went to that A&P In the Sky. Thanks for posting this one, Joe.

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 2013 UTC »
I can't get past all the junk and garbage on Jay's property to tell if that is a Pinto or not Pigmeat. 

Offline Gino Italy

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 2145 UTC »
Thanks for QSL  JB !!!
Rx R&S ESH3,Collins HF 2050,  R&S EK 56, Hallicrafters R45 ARR7, Hallicrafters SX 42, Racal 1778,Teletron TE 712 S, R&S EK 47, R1051 URR, Teletron TE 704, SDR RSP2,  antenna folded dipole B&W -Delta loop for 20mt  and vertical antenna 12mt, dipole 40/ 80 mt, loop magnetic 2mt diameter , 3,5-14,5 Mhz

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 2329 UTC »
Received mine as well, thank you as always !
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 0118 UTC »
I can't get past all the junk and garbage on Jay's property to tell if that is a Pinto or not Pigmeat. 

I'm thinking that's the "vintage equipment" he would talk about on Weiner's show, Joe.

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 0120 UTC »
Yea I guess so lol. Man what a mess.

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 0014 UTC »
This is what the original photo looks like before Smilky was added, from 2002 BTW.
Yes, Pigmeat, I think it is a Pinto. We had a nice time visiting Mt Kisco on the way home from the Winterfest, including a visit to the phone booth at the A&P.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 0020 UTC by Chris Lobdell »
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 0226 UTC »
Not a Pinto.  All these Pintos have the front turn signal next to the headlights, not underneath..

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=591&q=plymouth+maverick&oq=plymouth+maverick&gs_l=img.3..0.2188.5823.0.6222.18.9.0.9.9.0.145.833.4j4.8.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.17.955.0.pCXkRwP1Wbo#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=ford+pinto&*&spf=834

Thought the body looked more like a Plymouth Maverick, but those don't have the underneath turn signals either...

Looks an awful lot like this Vega.  That was my first thought but something didn't look right to me.  I owned one once... but not in that color...
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/chevyvega/images/1/14/Http---image.motortrend.com-f-classic-wallpaper-1008_1971_amc_gremlin_x_1973_chevrolet_vega_gt_1972_ford_pinto_wallpaper_gallery-34246782-1973-chevrolet-vega-GT-front-three-quarters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140206022010
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 0236 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 1736 UTC »
Hi Poet:

Yes, I would say it was a Vega, based on the picture you posted.  I remember I used to drive our salesman's Vega, it was the wagon version. It was so underpowered that if you turned on the AC while it was idling, the engine would stall out.  I think the van to the right is a VW Microbus.

All that stuff was gone the last time I was there in Feb 2015.  I understand the house is cleaned out but still standing. I wonder what became
of Jay's trusty Sony 2010.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 0444 UTC »
When a buddy turned 18 he came into a small inheritance. With all the muscle cars available in that era, what did he decide to buy? A new '74 Vega with all the option including AC, a cassette deck, and that wave of the future, quadraphonic sound. It was royal blue with Kragar mags all the way around. It started rusting out on him inside of a year. As he'd gone for the deluxe warranty, they saw him coming, the dealership actually replaced the thing. He promptly blew up the engine. He had it rebuilt and tricked out with a set of headers to get a few more horses. He wrecked it within months. He sold it to a guy who worked at the junkyard, a shade tree mechanic and drag racer.

The junkyard guy modified the engine compartment and dropped a 350 from a Nova in the thing with 4 barrel carb and a custom transmission. That guy won more money running 1/4 miles for titles in that thing than my buddy ever put in it. Nearly everything guy put in it he salvaged from the yard and worked on it after hours. Anyone with sense who challenged him knew they were screwed when he turned that thing over and they heard it roar. Many Camaro's and Firebird's changed hands due to machismo and ignorance over that lil' blue beast.

That Vega still sits behind the body shop the junkyard guy's son owns. It's known far and wide to men of a certain age as "Ol' Blue". If he'd put wings on Blue, I believe it would have flown.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 0950 UTC »
It should be noted that Jay is wearing an unauthorized version of The Crystal Ship's station T-shirt in non-standard colors, and also apparently had access to a 'time machine'... little did we know.  So ya'll better watch out for him, he may yet show up again in the future-- having come directly from the past...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 0955 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums