We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Decoding HDTV audio  (Read 1003 times)

Offline RadRoadrunner

• Nashville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email Contact
    • Email
Decoding HDTV audio
« on: March 25, 2017, 1553 UTC »
I had an idea about using a shortwave radio that has 64 MHz -88MHz (Channels 4-6) capabilities and using it to decode HDTV audio from it. This would be similar to older analog radios and how they would be able to pick up the audio carrier of TV stations for use in emergency situations. Any suggestions about how this would be accomplished? My thought is that it would be similar to SSTV and could have a decoder program for PC.
Please QSL At:  sansswl@gmail.com

Radios: Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-380
Antenna: 1.25m Coil Antenna + Whip Antenna on PL-600

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Decoding HDTV audio
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 1840 UTC »
The problem with all the HDTV systems I know of is that the audio is encapsulated in a transport stream, in the case of 8VSB (US HDTV) running at close to 20 Mbps.  You have to receive the entire bitstream, and demux the content you want, and at that point, you might as well watch the video PID too.

The other thing to keep in mind is there are very few lowband VHF TV stations.  Most migrated to UHF and a few on highband VHF.  Lowband has trouble with impulse noise which can cause breakup/tiling.

+-RH
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 1842 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me