We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wikileaks exposes covert US operation using CB  (Read 2389 times)

Offline czar

• View Profile
    • Email
Wikileaks exposes covert US operation using CB
« on: March 31, 2017, 2150 UTC »
   Wikileaks exposes covert US operation using CB
A new leak of sensitive government communication techniques and deception operations has electrified the global electronic intelligence community. During the Iraq War, the operation reached its zenith.

Wikileaks has exposed the fascinating story of how the cb and free band frequencies were used to mask spread spectrum and frequency hopping tactical radio traffic, and as well for communication with undercover agents in enemy territory.
Federal agencies had been using these frequencies for years, in the same manner, with 100% communications security. The cacophony of sounds, the chaotic slang, the multitude of languages and the vagaries of propagation made this frequency range a Wild West of unpredictable and turbulent nature. Underneath it all, Uncle Sam was hiding, thus we get our first inkling of the patriotic radio operators who provided the covering cascade of road talk, skip-shooting, and local gossip groups of oldsters.

As the buildup for the invasion of Iraq got underway, "export" radios seized by the FCC, and others bought at truck stops by procurement contractors were configured for widespread deployment. In this phase "cb modules" were crafted in a multitude of configurations. Units were carried by sailboats skippered by retired Navy personnel, and they steered for waters where propagation predictions promised that 11 meter signals would arrive in Iraq with some diurnal frequency. These units broadcast tapes of 11 meter traffic recorded by FCC monitoring stations during the sixties, seventies and up to that time. Similar setups were mounted on aircraft that, when flying within ground wave range, would switch on their modules, filling the 11 meter airwaves with inanities, Smoky Reports, Alpha-Tangos and renegade hams talking antennas.
Navy ships offshore electronically bombarded the entire Middle East with the same traffic, frequently changing antennas and polarization's to present a barrage of confusion for enemy monitors. It turns out that many covert operators had penetrated the Iraqi Taxi services, which also utilized 11 meter frequencies. Thus they were able to operate undetected in these same bands using specially converted 11m radios in spread-spectrum, with frequency hopping. These radios looked identical to common taxi radios. A satellite (code-named Lounge Lizard) had been positioned in low earth orbit to facilitate the flow of intelligence emanating from the Baghdad area. To farther saturate the ether, and in the tradition of the WWII code talkers, two groups- code named the "Urbans" and "Hillbillies"- had been secretly inserted on high terrain. These groups kept the airwaves flooded with chatter in their undecipherable brogue, and could communicate directly with the Taxi agents, in the clear with no fear of enemy comprehension. This deluge of strange sounds impelled a Russian Intercept Unit posted the Saddam to mutiny, so fatigued were they from hearing "Maul Dropper and Ratchet Jaw" while monitoring.

The ARRL played a major part in the deception operation to convince adversary agents operating Stateside that Cbers and freebanders could never be part of a Government operation. Many of these agents had entered the US as grad students, and were on the lookout for any technologies that could be harnessed for their national defense and offense efforts. Thus, they often found their way to Hamfests looking for technical info. At every turning they heard the ARRL Hams trained for the operation talking trash about Chicken Banders, how ignorant they were, and that they invaded 10 meters. The actors most convincing, adamant and vehement in this orchestration were operators who never operated at a frequency higher than 8 mhz. The way some were able to actually froth at the mouth during the denunciation convinced the information seekers that the 11 meter people must be fearsome outcasts who could never have government sanction.

The complete revelation, posted by WikiLeaks, was stolen from the classified "Intercept Science Journal" a trade journal for the SigInt community.

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wikileaks exposes covert US operation using CB
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 2248 UTC »
Bob bless Motor Mouth and the whole cast of Channel 6

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 0632 UTC »
Mind blowing.

Thanks for posting the article. So funny (in an ironic kinda way) it actually seems plausible. Probably true.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Wikileaks exposes covert US operation using CB? No doutb.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 1131 UTC »
          I remember hearing stories on how CB outbanders were delivering phone traffic from USA based spies based in Central and South America back in the 1980's and early 1990's. So, the Wikileaks article is not so far fetched.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 1617 UTC »
A pll'd cb is only a few chips away from a decent enough frequency hopper.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 1723 UTC »
Intriguing, but one day early ;)

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA