We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Truckstop Broadcasts on CB Channel 19 27.185 MHz 27185 kHz AM Indiana SDR  (Read 4878 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
I was fooling around with one of the KiwiSDRs (remote SDRs) located in Indiana (Edinburgh, Indiana), which happens to be located right next to Interstate 65.  Listening to the 11 meter band on this remote receiver I tuned to 27185.0 kHz (CB CH 19) and heard a very strong signal right on 27185.00 (lots of transmissions on CB, especially truckers' radios, are usually 500-1000 Hz off frequency, some of them I've noticed are 3-4 kHz off-frequency.

Anyway, every 30-40 seconds, a powerful signal comes on [often on top of on-going trucker chatter] with a YL advertising an "all hand truck wash" at exit 76B:

$20 truck wash, $20 trailer, $15 flatbed, etc.  I've heard several different versions of these ads (including ones coming from local truck stops on Interstate 95) and they're not actually truck washes...they're truckstop prostitutes "lot lizards" advertising themselves over CB radio.  Considering the fact that most trucker communications heard on this SDR are in the S2-S4 signal strength range and this automatic recording broadcast is S5 to S7 means they're either running considerable power or are very close to the SDR receiver itself.  

Since the receiver in question is near a truckstop, I've logged several other local communications on nearby 11 meter frequencies:

26985 kHz / 26.985 MHz - CB Channel 3 - truckers chatting to each other while at truck stop
27055 kHz / 27.055 MHz - CB Channel 8 - truckers chatting to each other while driving up (or down) Interstate 65
27125 kHz / 27.125 MHz - CB Channel 14 - two truckers, one with a very overmodulated signal talking about switching trucking companies
27165 kHz / 27.165 MHz - CB Channel 17 - appears to be alternate channel, used when channel 19 is congested
27205 kHz / 27.205 MHz - CB Channel 20 - truckers chatting to each other while at truck stop
27355 kHz / 27.355 MHz - CB Channel 35 - dump trucks on work site talking to each other (very strong signals, possibly construction crews)
27635 kHz / 27.635 MHz - truckers chatting to each other while driving up (or down) Interstate 65

The band was completely closed when I made these logs so I know the traffic heard was local.  Interesting what can be heard on these SDRs since basically all of them cover the 25-30 MHz region.  
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
When I was a teenager, we rented out a building that used to be my great-Uncle's general store from the 1920's to the early 60's to the guys who distributed Snyder's Potato Chips and their other products. During the summer and weekend's when trucks would come in late at night, my job was to unlock the warehouse and help unload the trucks. The last thing a trucker wants to do is unload a truck by hand after a long run, so they would throw me extra cash to unload the distributors share of the load while they either sacked out or got on the radio looking for women. I didn't mind doing it on my own, the boxes were bulky, but they were light, most well under 50-60 lbs. I could make as much in a few hours doing that than working a a couple of days flipping burgers, and it was all cash.

About 8 miles to the west there was a large Union 76 truckstop where the lot lizards ran that game. The drivers couldn't leave the load unattended to a teenage kid, so they would have the lot lizards delivered by their pimps. Those were some scary looking women.

One night I'm unloading a truck and up pulls a taxi. The whore gets out, and as it's dark, I can't make her out. She starts calling my name. She comes closer to the light and it's a friend's oldest sister. She's about 5'2" and 300 lbs. I'd heard rumors, but this confirmed it. She tells me she'll "throw me a free one" when she's done with the trucker. I told her that was o.k., it would be too weird knowing her family and all. She said she understood, but if I changed my mind in the future it would be on the house. I never did.

If you ever watched "Green Acres" she looked like a much younger, harder edged, Mrs. Ziffle. Scary from any angle you saw her from, but she was nice to one and all for a reasonable price. She worked truckstops and construction sites all over the region for years.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Awesome story, Pigmeat. 

It seems like this sort of thing is found pretty much everywhere truckstops are found.  Since nearly all over the road trucks have CB equipment of some kind or another, channel 19 is the logical place for a truckstop whore to advertise her services.  There's a truckstop north of the city I live in that has a CB shop advertising itself on channel 19, on top of truckers asking each other for things like TVs, potato chips (which makes your story that much better), CB equipment, and other random things the trucker may or may not have swiped from the load he's carrying. 

Wouldn't surprise me if methamphetamine, ephedrine and other "trucker speed" stimulants are sold via CB.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Truckstop Broadcasts on CB Channel 19 27.185 MHz? Oh yeah!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 1611 UTC »
      I still keep a rig in my truck, and we're going to figure out where to stash a CB in my sister's Chevy Cruise. (Sucks that today's cars are so no radio-mounting friendly.) Anyway, still a good source for monitoring, bitching, wreck happenings, weather mess-ups, and even some interesting entertainment. A dozen years ago, I was on Rt 86 by the Arkport, NY exit, and over CH19 was a dude keying up just saying, "21 for head!". About every 1min he kept repeating that. One trucker keyed up asking, "Is he calling about a blow job!?!". Then, when ya went to CH21, ya heard truckers yelling, "WHERE ARE YOU?". Back on CH19, ya still heard that one dude repeating, "21 for head!", until I was about 10 miles away from there. That was different, but not as funny as what I heard in the late 1990's where a CB'er was told that he sounded like schyyt and too raspy. When that dude asked about what he could do about it, that other dude that said that he sounded like crap told him that his rig was probably too dry and that he needed to water it to make it sound good again. When that dude with the raspy rig asked where to do that on his rig, another dude keyed in and told him to pour a bottle of water into the radio's rear vent holes, but to do it while the rig is still keyed up. Then that dude keyed up doing the, "Well, I don't know...". More dudes keyed in egging this guy to do it. Then finally the raspy guy keyed up saying, "OK... Here we go. Let me know how it sounds." Then, ya heard a Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftt sound, then silence for about a minute. Then a dude keyed up L.H.F.A.O. saying, "OMG!!!! I can't believe he F'n did it!". Then that channel just roared with comments afterwards. WOW!!!!!! That was classic and I only wish that I could have recorded that. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.