We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: J. Geils Dead at 71  (Read 1845 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
J. Geils Dead at 71
« on: April 12, 2017, 0030 UTC »
J. Geils, the guitarist and leader of the J. Geils Band, has died, WCVB TV Boston reports. John Warren Geils, Jr. was reportedly found dead at his home in Groton, Massachusetts. He was 71. Geils formed the J. Geils Band in 1967. Their debut self-titled album was released by Atlantic Records in 1970. They released 11 studio albums, including their 1982 chart-topper Freeze-Frame. That album included their biggest single “Centerfold,” which spent six weeks at No. 1. The band broke up in 1985, though they reunited off and on throughout the years. Geils left the band for good in 2012. Beyond the popularity of the J. Geils Band, Geils also released jazz and blues records under the name “Jay Geils.” He was a car racing and restoration enthusiast.

http://pitchfork.com/news/72810-j-geils-leader-of-the-j-geils-band-dead-at-71/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: J. Geils Dead at 71
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 0206 UTC »
I never liked a lot of their stuff that made it to radio, but they could tear the roof off live with their more bluesy roots rock stuff. They had a Hell of a harp player whose name escapes me. That was a great live band.

I saw them a good nine or ten times and they were never less than excellent. I saw the Aerosmith make the mistake of letting the J.Geils Band open for them in the mid-70's. Big mistake. About half of Aerosmith's schtick was taken from the JGB and it was apparent. It could have been worse, it could have made it a three band bill with the New York Dolls in the middle that would have totally exposed where Aerosmith got their act.

RIP John Geils, it was a fun ride.

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 0435 UTC »
For years I believed a rumor that "J. Geils" was fictional, and that Peter Wolf was the real founder and leader of the band. I was a gullible child.

Sorry to see him go, although I too didn't care for much of the music. "Centerfold" is really the only song that I liked, probably because of the video.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 1345 UTC »
Not a fan of Geils but Buster Poindexter is way cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZba-P7R18
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 1449 UTC »
Yes Pigmeat, One hell of a harp player! His name is Magic Dick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0q2Vy3fx2I

He was from New London CT which is just across the Thames River from me. New London CT has always had a great local music scene. The bars on Bank Street are slamming with great local bands every weekend.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 1819 UTC by flexoman61 »
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 1230 UTC »
Magic Dick, of course! I couldn't remember what it was, too many Dick's in the music world.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 0858 UTC »
"Magic Dick on the lickin' stick!", as Peter Wolf introduced him on at least one live album (Full House, I think).

J Geils Band was possibly the world's best club band that made the big time. They were consistently professional and put on a good show. Can't say the same for the 1970s era Rolling Stones, who ran hot and cold depending on their medication schedule.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns