We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Chinasat 6B and FIRE DRAKE Jammer  (Read 5996 times)

Offline N32117

• View Profile
Chinasat 6B and FIRE DRAKE Jammer
« on: October 05, 2015, 2040 UTC »
Do any of our members have any non-public literature on the Thales/ Alenia Space Chinasat 6B payload?  A friend intercepted the Chinese HF jammer, FIRE DRAKE, on 9560 KHz (AM, NSA signal type S1B, broadcast music) last week.  As a former satellite payload designer myself, I was very interested in how the transmit antenna is designed -- I assume it is probably a giant, unfurlable LPDA. 

Secondly, can we infer from the FIRE DRAKE frequencies that the purpose of the jammer is to deny access to HF agent communications, whether numbers stations or code phrases embedded in entertainment and news broadcasts, by foreign agents (such as Taiwanese, German and British) operating within the coverage area of Chinasat 6B?

Or, am I only stirring up wild speculation?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Chinasat 6B and FIRE DRAKE Jammer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 0015 UTC »
Just saw this post and have to say the firedrakes are terrestrial, not orbiting.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 0213 UTC »
Nothing so dramatic. The Firedrake shows up on the same frequencies as unwanted foreign broadcasts aimed at China, most notably those of Radio Free Asia's Mandarin broadcasts. The PRC's preferred method of jamming is to overwhelm them with their own programming rather than white noise, so either the Firedrake or China National Radio 1 are used, broadcasting at high power transmissions on the same frequencies. Here in America you can often hear the RFA broadcast together with the jamming since it's transmitted from Pacific locations closer to us than China, but I'm sure people there have no chance to hear it. (I've checked a web SDR based in Hong Kong when I noted I could hear both, and confirmed that only the Firedrake is audible there.)

Josh, it's been reported that the Firedrake originates from Chinasat 6B, which beams it to the different transmitters that do the jamming. Apparently that controls the transmissions so that they're all in sync. Someone who copied the actual satellite beam has CD quality audio which is posted to youtube, but apparently you can buy a CD if you really wish to have your own hard copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHsSyfj6uEg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 0320 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 1549 UTC »
Lol thanks for the info, think I've heard it often enough to forgo the cd purchase. It'd be funny if someone replaced the feed to the sat with their own programming.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 1635 UTC »
Radio Free Whatever would be a great replacement. Those Chinese jammers lack imagination.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 0214 UTC »
Minneapolis, MN

HFUnderground T-Shirt