We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Banner Thomas of Molly Hatchet died at age 63  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
Banner Thomas of Molly Hatchet died at age 63
« on: April 14, 2017, 1158 UTC »
It’s a sad day in the rock world as we report that Banner Thomas, former bassist for Jacksonville-based Southern rock band Molly Hatchet, has died. He was 63.

An important component of Molly Hatchet’s early success, Thomas joined the band in 1974 and played on their first four albums including 1979’s double platinum success Flirtin’ With Disaster before exiting in November 1981. In 2002 he explained his decision to leave Molly Hatchet, saying “We all started thinking we were stars, and that drove wedges into the cracks that started forming. I was as guilty as anybody else. I got into an argument with [band founder] Dave [Hlubek], got mad and quit,” and ultimately stayed in the Jacksonville area, going on to co-found Big Engine and in recent years spent time with local act Those Guys.

At this time, no official cause of death has been released for Banner Thomas, though if his most recent Facebook posts are anything to go by, his battle with pneumonia could very well have had something to do with his passing at such a fairly young age.

Our hearts are with Banner’s family, friends, and bandmates past and present as they struggle to navigate life without him, and we thank Banner for devoting his life to helping bring great music to the world.
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Banner Thomas of Molly Hatchet died at age 63
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 1219 UTC »
I knew most of those guys, a friend played keyboards on a couple of tracks on their first album and stayed close with them. I never cared for their music, but Banner was a nice fella. I met him in a bar after they played combo bill w/ the Outlaws in the '79. He asked me if I'd been to the concert, I told him that I had to work, and besides, I thought Molly Hatchet sucked. He about rolled on the floor with that one. My keyboard playing friend told me who he was and I tried to apologize. He told me not to sweat it, it was nice to meet someone who wasn't trying to kiss his ass. He bought me a beer and we talked vintage motorcycles until closing time. I saw him a couple of other times after that and he always would make a point of shooting the shit with me. He was a good guy.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 1421 UTC »
Isn't a molly hatchet a fish?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JCMaxwell

• Central NC, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 1815 UTC »
Oliver and Pigmeat, thanks. 

I loved Molly Hatchet.   :'(
IC-R9000L, FDM-S2, Belka DX, HF+ Discovery, RSPdx, IC-R30, BC125AT, PL-880 <- W6LVP Loop

eQSLs appreciated - johnnyclerkmaxwell@gmail.com

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 0936 UTC »
Molly Hatchet was one of those odd bands whose musicianship I respected yet couldn't think of a reason why they just didn't grab me. I like the southern rock vein they mined. But there were many talented groups in that same vein.

Original vocalist Danny Joe Brown had a powerful and distinctive voice, but he sounded like he was swallowing his tongue. It was an odd vocal quirk that just put me off a bit.

And their interpretation of the Allman's "Dreams" transmogrified it from a subtle, satisfyingly morose dirge with nuanced musical touches into a military marching song. It was just... odd. Not bad, but a bit like listening to Slovenian martial performance art band Laibach's cover of Jesus Christ, Superstar, minus the sense of irony.

But when I watch YouTube concert videos of Molly Hatchet from their peak I think, dang... they were good. Why don't I like their music?
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)