We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: North Korea encrypted numbers  (Read 2215 times)

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea encrypted numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 1331 UTC »
I wonder if they really use a JRC 240 for surveillance or if that was just some stock footage.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 1443 UTC »
The North Korean version of a one-time-pad (read message number 69 on page 823 of today's book, read message number 100 on page 957 of today's book") etc.

Considering how close these two countries are and the heavy use of radio and TV jamming by both sides...I'm surprised South Korea isn't just jamming the frequencies in question (or better yet, sending nonsensical messages to confuse the authenticity of the NK-based transmissions).  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that North Korea, with its antique power grid, likely possesses considerable less potential (or actual) broadcast band transmitters, I'm talking mediumwave AM, shortwave AM and VHF FM broadcast bands in addition to VHF/UHF TV.  Since South Korea uses digital TV for over the air broadcasts on both VHF TV and UHF TV bands and North Korea uses PAL analog...jamming North Korean TV is probably not too difficult. North Korea apparently makes heavy use of the VHF TV frequencies to cover wider broadcast areas compared to the UHF bands.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 2103 UTC »
I'll go one step further, and say these "secret message" broadcasts are pure disinformation - they're being sent to non-existant spies.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 1532 UTC »
I'll go one step further, and say these "secret message" broadcasts are pure disinformation - they're being sent to non-existant spies.

Why not? All we can do is speculate. However, it's interesting that these broadcasts, not heard for 15 or so years, start again just a couple of months before Kim Jong Nam was assassinated. It could be be pure coincidence, and more psy-ops than anything else. It could also be how they were told to go kill him. That's the mystery of numbers stations for you.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 1627 UTC »
Behold, a story on a defector from NK who spills the beans on fat boy's plans;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4414968/Kim-s-plan-kidnap-Western-tourists-South-Korea.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline RST111

• 30 miles east of Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 0154 UTC »
jamming North Korean TV is probably not too difficult. North Korea apparently makes heavy use of the VHF TV frequencies to cover wider broadcast areas compared to the UHF bands.

I've seen North Korean TV.  It's in the best interests of South Korea to let the world see it.  It's 100% propaganda straight out of Orwell's 1984.  The first time I saw it, I thought it was a parody or disinfo campaign.  :D
Pls qsl to rst111@protonmail.com ty!

QTH: 30mi East of Seattle

IC-R75, Afedri SDR, Airspy Discovery, Stridsberg HF Multicoupler, MFJ-1020C, Palomar CMNF-6, 40m dipole @ 100' AGL