We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: question about ham radio  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Static_Mantra

• View Profile
    • Email
question about ham radio
« on: April 23, 2017, 2025 UTC »
I live in ontario Canada, and I'm wondering why I can hear all these euro-hams, but can't hear the stations they are talking to in usa/canada ?

example just now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrwOvSdaMw&feature=youtu.be
SDRPlay + 40M mobile whip.
merzbow1111@gmail.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: question about ham radio
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 2110 UTC »
Often the higher frequencies only support propagation for longer distances. They don't work for "short skip", the radio waves from the US/Canadian stations pass through the ionosphere, instead of being reflected to your location, because you are too close to them.

This even happens on the lower bands, like 40 meters, or our 43 meter pirate band, at night.

Some background info here http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=214
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 2111 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Static_Mantra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 2155 UTC »
ok, thanks for the webpage, I'll be going through it all in the future! this was bugging me for awhile, only hearing one sided conversations.
SDRPlay + 40M mobile whip.
merzbow1111@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 1759 UTC »
It could also be this: because you're in North America, where the Euro hams are aiming their beams, you are in the target area of their signals, so naturally you may hear them.

But because the US and Canadian hams are aiming their beams at Europe (and possibly away from you, if they're in the NE or Mid Atlantic US, or Atlantic Canada) you can't hear them because you're in back of their beam antenna, or off the side of their beam where the signal is reduced.

The signals may also be skipping over you, as Chris S said.

I'm here in the NW US and half the time I hear Europe on the ham bands I don't hear the US or Canadian stations talking back at them.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).