We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SS religious station on 990kHz=highly probable KFCD, Farmersville-Dallas, TX  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
For the last few nights (roughly a week or so) I've been getting a Spanish-language religious broadcaster trading places with Winnipeg's CBC outlet on 990.  The content is most definitely Christian and fairly conservative, and the occasional music is similar to the sort of thing a VCY America station might play in English - choral, simple melodies, almost martial in tone in that way some fundamentalist stations can be.  I caught what might have been a prerecorded mailing address at one point, but the signal was too far down in the mud to make out details.  Also a possible 214 area code, though this could have theoretically been a country code.  Again, difficult copy.  

Who have I got, does anybody know?  Are they here in the States, Mexican, or *fingers crossed* a visitor from further south?  

ETA: Thanks for ID assistance, folks!  Auroral conditions are marvelous, eh? 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 0040 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: SS religious station on 990kHz=?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 2316 UTC »
Interesting.

Area code 214 is near Dallas, TX.

From what I've found online, this could be KFCD in Farmersville, TX (northwest of Dallas). From what is reported, they are a Spanish language station and have religious programming.

7000 Watts daytime, 920 Watts nighttime.  Directional antennas day & night with different patterns.
During the day, big blob to the northwest, some to the north, east and southeast (kind of looks like an egg with the axis 300-120 degrees with flat to the south. If that makes sense).

At night, to the SW with little headed north.

Guessing someone forgot to switch to nighttime power & antenna...

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 2334 UTC »
Yes, very very likely this was KFCD you heard during the semi-auroral medium wave conditions we've been having the last few nights.  From West Michigan, I had KFCD too the other night at a good level with no sign of usual Winnipeg.  The 214 area code is also a very solid clue.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 0038 UTC »
Ooh, so *that's* what's been going on!  I knew semi-auroral conditions were causing some unusual signals to reach the region, but this was the most distinct.  I'm calling it a probable ID.  Cheers, folks! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.