We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 4630 kHz USB UNID Language Unknown 0327 UTC 4 May 2017  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
0327 UTC - Ongoing conversation between stations, signal in WNY is S-3 at best. Lots of noise at the moment, so it is difficult to tell if it is Spanish or Portuguese or something else.
0354 UTC - No longer hearing anything, signal gone.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 0356 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: 4630 kHz USB UNID Language Unknown 0327 UTC 4 May 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 0315 UTC »
Nice catch.  Haven't seen this frequency before as far as pescadore / peskie / fishing fleet communications.  It is outside the 4 MHz marine band (4000-4438 kHz) in the 4438-4650 kHz "fixed and mobile" band (just like how 6765-7000 kHz is a fixed and mobile allocation).  Seems like these types of stations like these bands. 

Thanks for posting this log, Traveling Wave. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 0327 UTC »
0323 UTC - Hearing conversation between a few stations. Sounds Spanish to me. Signals are S3-S5 in WNY.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 1422 UTC »
Looks like these stations have been heard by other listeners - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHZX2Rhm8Mg

Does that recording sound like the stations you've heard, TW?  Sounds like peskies to me.  Very similar operating procedures and accents to the stations heard on 69xx kHz.  Perhaps you've found their "low band" frequency :D

Further Googling of the frequency shows it has been recorded as in use by the Russian and Algerian military, by numbers station E06 and is listed in an old (1987) version of FCC rules part 87.513 Civil Air Patrol frequencies available (not sure if that's still current or not).  Regardless, I don't think what you've been hearing is CAP or Russian military traffic.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 1430 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 1643 UTC »
Yes, the youtube  recording of 4630 kHz sounds just like the conversations I have been hearing. Glad someone else has been hearing them besides me.
Some differences that I have observed are the signals on 4630 kHz are not as strong as the 
69XX kHz peskies and I hear the 69xx peskies mostly every nite but the 4630 peskies are not on every nite.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 1837 UTC »
Looks like we've found another frequency in use by this group.  More listening (and research) is needed but this is promising knowing that you heard similar traffic to the station that recorded the traffic on 4630 kHz USB and put it on YouTube.

Hopefully I'll have some free time in the coming evenings to park a receiver (and/or remote SDRs) on 4630 kHz and see if I can hear them too.  Considering previous logs of 15151.5 kHz and other higher-frequency logs, along with the dozens of 11 meter band frequencies in question and the various 6-7 MHz band traffic centering around 6900 kHz, I have a feeling there's another frequency or two out there, possibly on other bands.  That does confirm the theory regarding at least some of these operators having the capability to operate all over HF, vs. only operating on 43 meters and/or 11 meters. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 1839 UTC by R4002 »

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 0358 UTC »
Hearing chatter on 4630 kHz USB at 0355 UTC via Concord, NH and Rochester, NY remote SDRs.  The language does not appear to be Spanish though.  Sounds more like Portuguese to me.  Lots of static crashes though.  Could maybe even be Italian.  Possible that this is not the same stations the other stations have heard.   Decent signal strength but QRN levels are making listening not as easy as it could be.  There are several other SSB QSOs nearby in frequency showing up on the SDR waterfall. 

It's possible that we've stumbled upon another "peskie" watering hole.