We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID Possible Italian / Portuguese 4630 kHz USB 0400+ UTC 8 May 2017  (Read 2704 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Tuned back to this frequency after listening to 4646 kHz USB.  Hearing at least 3-4 different stations chatting away, very similar to the Portuguese traffic heard on 6925 LSB, 6919 LSB, etc.  Closer to the Portuguese speaking peskies than the Spanish speaking stations on 6900 LSB, 6895 LSB, etc.  My instinct is telling me this is Italian but I really don't know.  Could still be Portuguese.  Its not Spanish (at least not right now, at 0404 UTC).  Like the other frequencies commonly monitored, I'm sure there are several different groups using the same or similar frequencies.

SIO 333 at best due to static crashes / QRN.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
0325 UTC - Lots of static crashes tonight ( 11 May 2017) but hearing the Italian/ Portuguese on 4630 kHz. Signals are S3-S5 but a few stations are chatting away. They don't sound Spanish to me.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 0330 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Sounds like we've heard the same group of statons.  I can't put my finger on the language (I know accents make things even harder to really nail down).  Heavy storm static seems to be the norm late night this time of year but if 4630 kHz is anything like the other pescadore fishing fleet frequencies we've found, they'll be hanging out there all year. 

Certainly a frequency worth continuing to check out in the future. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
    • View Profile
    • Email
0325 UTC - Same as last night, signals S3, lots of static crashes but I hear the chatting between several stations going on. Definitely not Spanish.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Just checked the 4630 kHz USB frequency in the 0040 UTC to 0045 UTC time frame (18 May 2017) and heard nothing.  Seems like this frequency does not become active until later on in the evening.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
    • View Profile
    • Email
0324 UTC - I hear a station chatting away. Signal is S3 tough to make out the language between the static crashes. I think its sounds Italian.
0328 UTC - Hearing nothing.
0329 UTC - Only hearing one station, again sounds Italian.
0331 UTC - Second station just slowed up a bit louder. The OM said a few words and now hearing nothing.
0332 - 0400 UTC - monitored and heard nothing  :(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 0402 UTC by Traveling Wave »

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns