We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A North Korean Nuclear EMP Attack? … Unlikely  (Read 6141 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: A North Korean Nuclear EMP Attack? … Unlikely
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 0138 UTC »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 1143 UTC »
Fire up HAARP, Al. The sky is falling... again.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 1151 UTC »
http://www.wnd.com is not exactly... reliable  ;D

I would not be surprised if the US/Russia/China have undeclared orbiting nuclear weapons for EMP purposes (even though it violates treaties), but this is a bit beyond NK's capabilities at present.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 1213 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 1234 UTC »
It's pretty simple. The effectiveness of the EMP directly correlates to the size of the weapon, as demonstrated in the article Skeezix linked. and there's no evidence that any of North Korea's weapons is any bigger than Little Boy. (The quoted figure was 20 kT yield.) That's not too surprising; it takes an enormous industrial effort to produce even small amounts of enriched uranium or plutonium.
That's also why, even if Pakistan helped NK develop their program, they're probably not just going to give them any nuclear material, or sell it at a specially reduced price.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 1409 UTC »
Imagine how it would profit Russia and China for NK to do their dirty work for them. Hence why I feel enhanced emp stuffs were sold/loaned/given to NK.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 1919 UTC »
http://www.wnd.com is not exactly... reliable  ;D

I would not be surprised if the US/Russia/China have undeclared orbiting nuclear weapons for EMP purposes (even though it violates treaties), but this is a bit beyond NK's capabilities at present.

Wasn't there a James Bond film with that being a major part of the plot?

Josh makes an interesting point re: Russia/China "hiring" North Korea/DPRK to do their dirty work for them, but I don't think NK would do such a thing. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 2042 UTC »
Imagine how it would profit Russia and China for NK to do their dirty work for them. Hence why I feel enhanced emp stuffs were sold/loaned/given to NK.

They don't have a relationship like that. China resents NK and Russia hasn't done them any favors since the Soviet Union ended. Having a nuclear NK is no help to China.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 1721 UTC »

They don't have a relationship like that. China resents NK and Russia hasn't done them any favors since the Soviet Union ended. Having a nuclear NK is no help to China.

Why do you think their end goal is peace and prosperity? You're talking about communists, people who actually believe communism works and kill people to prove it every day.
It's not like both of them have icbms pointed at us or anything, or that China just fabricated some islands on wich to plop military aircraft and missile defenses. NK doesn't poop without asking China first. It seems to me their end goal is to remove the threat America represents to their world hegemony. It amazes me that there are people who think the "leaders" of this world just want peace and light.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 1639 UTC »
Who said I said that?
Denver, CO.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 2156 UTC »
The worse thing that NK could do to anyone is to have Fat Boy 'un' let a big cheese phart and cause all of those Russian tanks on NK north border (Just moved there BTW) fire all at once and set NK alight in a massive blaze of 'un's fat cheese butt...

I'd much rather worry about something 'real'... like the Sun going Nova because it is vibrating from all of the crappy music being played on IPHart radio... whatever that is...

Besides...  On a minutes notice we can put in place super audio gear in space and pound the hell out of NK with Yoko Ono tunage...!  We have the edge...

Oh yeah... nuke caca doodee poopoo carries on the wind and I know which way the wind is blowing...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 0150 UTC »
The NK sats haven't emitted a peep since launch and are at the perfect altitude for a textbook emp pop. There's also the rumour that NK bought super emp tech from Russia and China.

It is arguable if they are at the perfect altitude, they are around 500 km alt (varies +/- about 30 km).  The perfect altitude must be matched with the technology of the device used, what is the "perfect" alt for one sized device is not so much for a different sized device.

Now 320 miles is a really nice zone for EMP, assuming you have a device of correct yield.  A large enough one at that alt would have a footprint covering much of the contiguous US.  However a relatively low yield device, say on the order of 10x the size NK has yet actually detonated, would actually be hampered at that altitude, and would have a more effective footprint (not larger, but higher intensity) at a good bit lower alt.

Would Russia or China sell NK a tailored EMP device in the 1 MT or larger range?  This is not 1991, Russia is not that hard up for hard currency.

As I type this KMS 3-2 just passed over the Russian heartland.  Its next two orbits will take it over China.  Such a weapon could easily be used by NK against China or Russia, and there would be nothing those nations could do to stop it.  Providing a tailored EMP device small enough to fit on an NK rocket would be as dangerous to China or Russia as it would be to us.  ANd NK has demonstrated that it will not be controlled by external nations.

Could NK have built a 1 MT or larger device themselves?  Nothing they have done so far, no test, indicates they are anywhere near ready for that.  And if they can, after the limited success they have had so far, could it fit on a sat they could lift to orbit?  The KMS 3-2 is 1.6 meters, by 0.6 meters, by 0.7 meters, and is estimated to weigh about 100 kg.  That has to hold whatever they want it to hold (such as a weapon) and all the TM and control stuff.  We could build one to fit in that footprint, but we could not for the first 15 or so years of the most ambitious and public nuclear weapons development program seen so far.  It took us about 7 years, and more than 30 successful tests, after our first test to get to our first multi-stage device, and more than 1 MT.  And that device would hardly fit in a delivery truck, let alone a 100 kG payload rocket.

I see no indication, at all, that NK is at about the same level of weapons development as the US was at in 1960.  They have had 5 tests, one fizzle at about 0.7 kt, the next 4 ranged from about 5 to about 25 kt.  It was claimed, by NK, that the last one was of a correct size to be mounted on a missile / rocket.  At the time of that test both the KMS 3-2 and the KMS 4 were already in orbit.  Their demonstrated weapons tech as of the last launch was on the order of 20 kt.

At the altitude of the KMS birds 20 kt, or even several times that, is just about a firecracker.

Am I worried that they will get there?  You bet, if not stopped or if they don't change their mind it is almost assured they will.  But not yet, and probably not for a few more years.  I think they need to pop a right size weapon in test before I start worrying about them maybe getting one to orbit.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 1509 UTC »
The worse thing that NK could do to anyone is to have Fat Boy 'un' let a big cheese phart and cause all of those Russian tanks on NK north border (Just moved there BTW) fire all at once

Hell, they could use cruise missles launched from the destroyers in Vladivostok as cover, roll down and snatch Little Kim, and be back across the border with him and his Pappy's unicorn collection by dinner time.

Of course, it could go the way of that "volunteer" led invasion of Ukraine and piss out 20 miles in. "Vladimirich, I bring you a turnip that has seen the smokestacks of Donetsk looming in the distance!" "Thank you, Yuri. Have you ever been to sunny Syria?"

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 0102 UTC »
Speaking of Vladivostok, the DPRK recently launch a missile and it landed about 60 mi from there. At least that's what has been reported...

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 1558 UTC »
Speaking of Vladivostok, the DPRK recently launch a missile and it landed about 60 mi from there. At least that's what has been reported...

That was the previous launch, this last one landed in Japan's 200 mile economic zone. I still have a hard time believing Pyong Pyang takes a shit without Peking saying poop first.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns