We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Man, shot in head, notices five years later  (Read 4312 times)

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
Man, shot in head, notices five years later
« on: August 25, 2010, 2013 UTC »
BERLIN — A Polish man living in Germany went about his business for about five years without noticing he had been shot in the head because he was drunk when it happened.

Police in the western city of Bochum said on Tuesday doctors found a .22 caliber bullet in the back of his head after the 35-year-old went to have what he thought was a cyst removed.

Presented with the 5.6mm projectile, the man recalled he had received a blow to the head around midnight at a New Year's party "in 2004 or 2005", but had forgotten about it because he had been "very drunk," a police spokesman said.

"He told us he remembered having a sore head, but that he wasn't really one for going to the doctor," the spokesman said.

The wound later healed around the bullet and it was not until the man decided to have the lump examined due to recurring pains that the discovery was made.

Police said they were not treating the incident as suspicious as the bullet might have got lodged in the man's head when a reveler fired a gun in celebration.

"It may have been a shot fired up in the air which entered his head on the way down," the spokesman said.

The resident of Herne, who has lived in Germany for several years, was expected to be released from hospital later this week after the bullet was removed on Friday, police said.

Copyright 2010 Reuters. Click for restrictions.

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
Re: Man, shot in head, notices five years later
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 2016 UTC »
And a couple of comments from this stary ---Ok, I hate to nitpick here, but there is no way a .22 bullet would maintain enough velocity from falling to lodge in his head. Just like the myth of dropping a penny off the empire state building, air resistance will keep it's terminal velocity low enough that it won't have piercing power.---- and ---- Beautiful. Someone is actually quoting reality TV as a definitive source and calling OTHER people morons. The dumbing down of America is right on schedule.

Yeah, if you shot it STRAIGHT up it probably wouldn't injure you too badly. But how about if I pop a round off from a half mile away at, I don't know, how about a 45 degree angle? Think that might sting a little if it hit you in the side of your noggin? Let's see the Mythbusters try that one.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38830703/ns/world_news-weird_news

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 0203 UTC »
And a couple of comments from this stary ---Ok, I hate to nitpick here, but there is no way a .22 bullet would maintain enough velocity from falling to lodge in his head. Just like the myth of dropping a penny off the empire state building, air resistance will keep it's terminal velocity low enough that it won't have piercing power.---- and ---- Beautiful. Someone is actually quoting reality TV as a definitive source and calling OTHER people morons. The dumbing down of America is right on schedule.

Yeah, if you shot it STRAIGHT up it probably wouldn't injure you too badly. But how about if I pop a round off from a half mile away at, I don't know, how about a 45 degree angle? Think that might sting a little if it hit you in the side of your noggin? Let's see the Mythbusters try that one.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38830703/ns/world_news-weird_news

Hmmm ...

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=mythbusters+bullet+penny+velocity&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Episode 50: Bullets Fired Up http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html
Bullets fired up into the air can be lethal: busted, plausible, and confirmed.

Dunno ... didn't see this episode ...

o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline RF BURNZ

• Titusville, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 2132 UTC »
Maybe Outhouse can go out, fire a bullet up in the air, and wait for it to come down and tell us what happened!  Only sure way to dispell this situation!

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 2349 UTC »
NO !!!   i aint a gonna DO IT !!   last time i did that it  Rained Rabbits !    YA Think i hit the Mother Ship ???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 1842 UTC by outhouse radio »

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns