We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Carrier pulse on 13.560  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Corvus

• Nuevo Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Email
Carrier pulse on 13.560
« on: May 15, 2017, 1943 UTC »
Hearing solid S9 tick here in the mid pacific in the ISM spectrum that's not a listed time station that I can find. A carrier pulse on AM with no modulation. Double tick at the minute mark apparent on sidebands that matches WWVH.

Anyone else hear it or know about it?

Offline Dag

• View Profile
Re: Carrier pulse on 13.560
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 2355 UTC »
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,20854.msg75763.html#msg75763

See if you can access the above link. I have heard pips in the 22 m ISM band that are very close the one second apart, with a double pip nearly at the one minute mark, but it seems to be of industrial application, not a time station.
Dag
Seminole county, Florida, USA, Earth, Solar System, Universe.Icom 7610 + attic dipole. Black coffee. Ketosis.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 0029 UTC »
I can hear something very much like what Dag describes regularly when I'm at home. But I can take my portable receiver just a couple of miles away and not hear it any more. Someone once suggested that I could probably try to find it if I went around my area with it to see where it's stronger and where it's weaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQh6ReSZ5jA
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline AlanC

• Sheffield UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 1854 UTC »
13560kHz is the frequency used by many RFID devices and also Near Field Communications (NFC). It's possible that what you're hearing is an access control swipe card reader or a contactless card payment machine somewhere, or possibly just a mobile phone with the NFC turned on. These devices radiate quite a long way.

Loads of info here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37649276/hf-rfid-vs-nfc-can-an-nfc-enabled-mobile-phone-read-high-frequency-rfid-tags

Cheers
Alan

Cheers
Alan

Offline Corvus

• Nuevo Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 2050 UTC »
Thanks for the info, 13.56 mhz is pretty obscure on Google search so thanks for the links. I shutdown NFC on all devices in the house and it persists, I'll have to take the sw-100 out for a walk and see if the source is localized.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 2246 UTC »
Hearing solid S9 tick here in the mid pacific in the ISM spectrum that's not a listed time station that I can find. A carrier pulse on AM with no modulation. Double tick at the minute mark apparent on sidebands that matches WWVH.

Anyone else hear it or know about it?

As of 2245 UTC, the "single tick" and then "double tick" can be heard just slightly beneath the central signal via the Utwente WebSDR.