We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden, dies at 52  (Read 5803 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Chris Cornell, the powerful, dynamic singer whose band Soundgarden was one of the architects of grunge music, has died at 52.

Mr. Cornell died Wednesday night in Detroit, said his representative, Brian Bumbery, in a statement that called the death “sudden and unexpected” and that said the singer’s family would be “working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause.”

Mr. Cornell was born in 1964 in Seattle and helped form Soundgarden 20 years later. Sub Pop, then a fledgling record label, released the group’s first single, “Hunted Down,” in 1987, as well as two subsequent EPs. The group’s debut album, “Ultramega OK,” came a year later.

More:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/arts/music/chris-cornell-dead-soundgarden.html
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden, dies at 52
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 1557 UTC »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbckIuT_YDc

I guess I can forgive him for having anything to do with ratm now he's passed on.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 1652 UTC »
Does this mean we can have our black hole sun spots back?
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Unknown Name

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 1706 UTC »
R.I.P. Chris Cornell.  Apparent suicide, you will be missed.  One of the best screams ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2GjXMk7i4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNh-iw7gsuI
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 1710 UTC by Unknown Name »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 2234 UTC »
Suicide or O.D.? Apparently they've been touring. A lot of ex-junkies decide to take a taste after years of abstinence and that's all it takes. Lack of tolerance makes what used to be a low to moderate dose for them deadly.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 2320 UTC »
I actually just saw him recently at the Rockville Fest (Soundgarden was the main reason I went) and they put on an excellent show - my first & last time to see him.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline taschenrechner

• Я робот. Я работаю на заводе.
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 2203 UTC »
I saw Soundgarden at Lollapalooza back in the 90's. Incredible show and Cornell melted faces off with his voice. Sad we lost him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Youloop.  SDR++, GQRX,
QSL to: kj4wna@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 1656 UTC »
Suicide or O.D.? Apparently they've been touring. A lot of ex-junkies decide to take a taste after years of abstinence and that's all it takes. Lack of tolerance makes what used to be a low to moderate dose for them deadly.

I don't think it was a Mike Huchence but the result was the same.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 1819 UTC »

As Neil Young said: "every junkie's like a setting sun".
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 0233 UTC »
Neilo knew enough of them to know, FPE. Back about '05 a guy I knew who'd come back from a stint in the Air Force in Thailand badly strung out in the early 70's went out with that "just a little taste" syndrome after being clean since '78. Nodded off on the couch and never came to.

I still can't imagine Neil and Rick James in the same band. I wonder how they found their way to gigs? It's probably how they made that wrong turn and ended up in the States where it was revealed Rick was a deserter from the Army. I'd have loved to been in the car behind them to hear the original "Toxic Twins" try to talk their way out of that one.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 1443 UTC »
What little I've heard Cornell was dealing with depression and may have been on an antidepressant that perhaps backfired.

People in the Seattle area are fairly crushed.... At least those of us that were around when Soundgarden and the other bands were taking off in the late 80's/early 90's.

Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley... Now Mr. Cornell.

RIP Mr. Cornell, and thanks for politely signing my Superunknown CD out in front of the Sit And Spin that one overcast afternoon. You were one of a kind.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 2014 UTC »
Ah, the Sit N Spin. I arrived in Seattle just in time to catch a few shows there. I think it closed up in 1999. I also got to see some shows at RKCNDY before they bulldozed that for some ugly development.

I got to follow the Seattle scene vicariously from Denver when it was going down, because The Fluid, Sub Pop's first non-Seattle signing, was from here and was naturally my favorite local act. So they got to play with those bands as they were up and coming, and as Sub Pop was building its image. We got to hear stories about how Soundgarden would ask the guys from Danzig, whom they toured with in 1990, to shoot some hoops at some stop, but Danzig refusing because he wanted the band members as pale as possible. No time in the sun, ever! And we saw those bands play small venues before they hit it big. Anyway, that whole scene was spent by the time I decided to move there. Cobain had been gone for three years, Soundgarden had broken up, and pretty much everyone else had moved to California or wherever. Only Mudhoney were still around, and the dominant band in town at this time was Modest Mouse, while Death Cab For Cutie was just getting off the ground. The Rocket folded around the same time as the Sit N Spin, which was a shame because the other alt weeklies failed to fill that void.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 0436 UTC »
True enough, the Rocket was THE local music paper. The Stranger attempts to fill the void, but fail. Their most recent issue has three photos of Cornell, and 1.5 articles. So much for any tribute to the legacy.

I was never part of the scene, but was always around it somehow. The music was everywhere, especially downtown, even in the strip clubs.

I was at KCMU (the alternative college station at the UW) when all those bands had their first demos and singles played locally. Never saw a show, though. :-( Living in the suburbs, I never really was into seeing shows much.

I saw New American Shame play several times, though. They were a punkish version of AC/DC-style rockers that toured with The Cult, and they played numerous shows in the area -- Bumbershoot, Planet Hot Rod, Sit N Spin, the Crocodile. It was the closest I got to really feeling the scene as it played out later in the 1990's. I saw Truly play -- Hiro Yamamoto's band with Robert Roth. And a couple other local original bands from the latter part of the decade, at the Croc or the Off Ramp -- bands like the Shinola and Redneck Girlfriend that didn't make it big but their music was still pretty good.

By the time you got here, Seattle was still Seattle but things were already changing. The city just kept getting bigger and bigger. If you returned now, you would barely recognise anything, especially in Belltown where the grunge scene seemed to be centered when it was big. Belltown is all high-rises. Downtown reeks of big money now. Not that it's necessarily bad, but the character has changed.

Shit, everything's changed since the 90's. Never thought I'd miss that decade.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 2102 UTC »
A lot of that was underway by the time we left in 2005. I remember going to the Rendezvous when it was a genuine dive. It was already turning into a hipster joint, but there were some genuine Bukowski-type barflies around. I remember there being a park in Belltown on Third that was really seedy when I arrived, and was a dogpark when I left. I think you're right, I'd probably not recognize much of what's still there.
Denver, CO.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 1629 UTC »
If you watch the vid I posted the url to, it shows him hanging from a phone cord around his neck kinda like how he killed himself, as well as singing the lyrics;

"The Day I Tried To Live"

I woke the same as any other day
Except a voice was in my head
It said seize the day, pull the trigger, drop the blade
And watch the rolling heads

The day I tried to live
I stole a thousand beggar's change
And gave it to the rich
The day I tried to win
I dangled from the power lines
And let the martyrs stretch
Singing

One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it
One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
The day I tried to live

The part about pulling the trigger might signify suicide, while the part about one more time around might signify a belief in reincarnation. But who knows, can't ask him now.