We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Question about images that are sent in radio transmissions  (Read 2648 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
I don't mean SSTV. I'm speaking of the images that some pirates have recent started sending that can be seen in the waterfall displays of those using SDR's.

I like tuning into the VOA radiogram, and they send images of the VOA and Radiogram logos. I've only ever been able to see those in the waterfall display of Fldigi, however, not SDRuno. I don't know if this is due to my settings, the software itself, or something else. And so far I haven't observed any of the images that some pirates like Burn It Down Radio, Radio Time, and Pee Wee have recently sent to identify themselves or to give shout-outs to HFU listeners. Timing and the typically fair-to-poor signal strength are doubtless factors, but I'd like to know what I need to do to see these if I'm lucky enough to be viewing the waterfall when they send something, or playing back a SDR recording. (Would they appear in Fldigi's waterfall if I had that up and running?)

Thanks for your help.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Question about images that are sent in radio transmissions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 2015 UTC »
These images the pirate stations are sending would be viewable in the waterfall of your SDR app, or possibly in the waterfall of a digital app, if you are tuned in SSB mode, and the bandwidth is wide enough. I've been able to view them by playing back an SDR recording, and fast forwarding to the appropriate time.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 2027 UTC »
Does the contrast need to be high, or are they fairly visible regardless of that setting?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 2039 UTC »
Does the contrast need to be high, or are they fairly visible regardless of that setting?

I had to fiddle with the settings a few times to get a reasonable image.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 2129 UTC »
Kewl. Thanks Chris!
Denver, CO.

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 0019 UTC »
Also, the speed of your waterfall is very important to how the image will look.
If your waterfall is moving very slowly, the image may be too compressed vertically to see anything.
Or if the waterfall is moving very quickly, the image may expand too much to fit on your display.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 0558 UTC »
Fairly simple to use EASYPAL. However the B/W is restricted to 3KHz, which is a pain got Tx. Anyone know how to W-I-D-E-N it?
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 1716 UTC »
As easypal is set for a nominal 3khz bw for the mode it runs (drm is a derivative of STANAG4285 = 2.4KHz wide) I don't think you can alter the waterfall where it shows the callsigns and other messages other than to make it run upwards or downwards.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 1819 UTC »
Dont have an iPhone, and shame the B/W is restricted, ah well, just a bit of harmless fun anyways.....

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)