We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Tornado 6950 USB 0013 UTC 5/30/17  (Read 6847 times)

Fansome

Re: Radio Tornado 6950 USB 0013 UTC 5/30/17
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 1730 UTC »
I was told the 10kw figure by Big Mike, of WBIG, one evening in the old FRN chatroom. He said that he had visited the transmitter site and confirmed it.

I heard from another person that the ops had offered to show him the rig, if he was willing to wait outside his house with a bag over his head, and let them drive him to the site without being able to see the route. My source declined.

Remember the paint peeling signals he used to kick out, John? The first time I heard those guys I had a Radio Shack DX-375 I used for casual MW/FM/SW listening that didn't cover the funny bands. I went up to 6070 to listen to Toronto for bit when this wide signal wipes out everything. I tune down to find out what it was and it was their image on 6055 absolutely clear as a bell and blasting. I didn't bother to switch radios, (what was the point?), and found I could copy them easily with the whip down.

I one heard him drive a ute off of 6955. The ute was no slouch, but he buried it. When he signed off after ten minutes, that ute was gone.

I recall claims RMWW used a 10 kW transmitter. Not sure if it was that much, but it was indeed a very respectable signal.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Tornado 6950 USB 0013 UTC 5/30/17
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 2111 UTC »
Didn't the bag man eat at Fuddruckers out on RT. 220 a lot?