Author Topic: Kenwood R-600  (Read 903 times)

bandarr3000

• View Profile
Kenwood R-600
« on: June 04, 2017, 1723 UTC »
Does anyone here have a Kenwood R-600? I'm thinking about getting one off of eBay. Or should I hold out for an SDR with all the bells and whistles?  I wouldn't have the panadapter, of course, but $169 seems like a good deal for a solid general-coverage receiver.  It would certainly beat the RTL-SDR I'm currently using.   Thanks.
SDRPlay RSP2 with  45' longwire
Grand Rapids, MI

Josh

• View Profile
Re: Kenwood R-600
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 1827 UTC »
An analog rig is nice to have but the versatility of an sdr is orders of magnitude beyond analog. In that price range are some decent used sdrs plus some new ones such as the rsp2 and the upcoming airspy hf+ that are better for use on hf;
http://www.sdrplay.com/rsp2/
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/airspy-hf-upcoming-low-cost-yet-high-performance-hf-sdr/

But get whatever your heart desires, I'd like to find another mint Icom R71.

bandarr3000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 0046 UTC »
Thanks for the advice.  And thanks for letting me know about the Airspy HF+. 
SDRPlay RSP2 with  45' longwire
Grand Rapids, MI

RobRich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 0646 UTC »
Some of the latest portables have features not available on older desktop receivers, such as numerous filter bandwidths, sync detection, etc. For example, the Tecsun PL-880 comes to mind.

The R-600 also was rather basic on features, even during it era. I am not kicking it, as I have one, but I am trying to be realistic with the progress of technology. I hold on to my Kenwood receivers, as they suit my casual HF listening needs. I have worked in computers for most of my professional career, so sometimes it is good to just to turn off the computers, turn on a radio, and spin the dial.

Also note the risks of buying an older desktop receiver. Capacitors can leak, resistors can drift, solder joints can break, and a myriad of other concerns. Be prepare to fix them, or have them fixed. A prime example, solder joints at the attenuator in my R-2000 needed reflowing awhile back. It is not a difficult fix - well, for my hands these days it is a challenge (another topic) - but it is annoying ongoing maintenance of aging radios nonetheless.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Kenwood R-600 + R-2000 | Soft66LC4 SDR | Yaesu FRG-7
Ameco PCL-P | MFJ-784B | MFJ-901B | 2x MFJ-1020B | 2x Timewave DSP-9
148' "Shielded" Loop-on-Ground | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' + 31' Verticals