We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: C-QUAM  (Read 3902 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
C-QUAM
« on: June 05, 2017, 1149 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: C-QUAM
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 1219 UTC »
Wow. Too bad it was too little, too late.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 1339 UTC »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 1343 UTC »
Lol am stereo in the car was great! My Dodge K Car had it built in, and when skip was rolling the station would start to rotate around the speakers making one dizzy as they tooled down the highway.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 2039 UTC »
Lol am stereo in the car was great! My Dodge K Car had it built in, and when skip was rolling the station would start to rotate around the speakers making one dizzy as they tooled down the highway.

LOL! A buddy of mine sold Chrysler's in that era. He once told me "AM stereo is the wave of the future!"

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 2113 UTC »
Chris, that ad reminds me of the ones for the original line of Pioneer underdash "Super Tuners" of the mid-late 70's. If you drove anywhere near the antenna of the station you were listening to, "poof!" went the front end and you were back to having a tape deck and listening to AM on the car radio. A friend had one of the first versions with a classic 8-track deck. Local teens used to party at an abandoned loony bin on a hill across the valley from the stick of the local AOR station, about a half mile away. That was the end of it. Those things would fry by the multitude with that line of sight signal bearing down on them.

I remember my friend saving his money to get the new '76 model with a cassette deck. Pioneer swore they had the receiver bugs ironed out. We were out skipping school and drove by the antenna of a local FM station we weren't listening to, the road was only a couple of hundred feet away from it. That was the end of that Super Tuner. Pioneer refused to replace it as they said he'd "abused it" by driving that close to a FM transmitter.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 0004 UTC »
C-QUAM could make a comeback, but its unlikely. There are two MW stations around here in glorious AM stereo. And one of those recently switched from the crappy IBOC.

Its not only the stereo, but the wide audio bandwidth.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 0214 UTC »
That's why I only listen to sports on radios older than the attack on Pearl Harbor, Skeezix.  You can't beat the sound quality on those antiques.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 0557 UTC »
Yes, the vintage sound. Shortwave powerhouses like Radio Rebelde (even with its often extreme dynamic compression) playing music at night can sound superb on my National NC-125 and matching speaker.... and I am the type of person that usually cooks music through a DSP declipper when listening via computer.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Fansome

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 0616 UTC »
That's because they have knobs.

That's why I only listen to sports on radios older than the attack on Pearl Harbor, Skeezix.  You can't beat the sound quality on those antiques.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 1334 UTC »
Knobs you say?!?!

Come in, Tokyo!!!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 0022 UTC »
That's what Amelia said when she defected to the Tojo's on her supposed flight around the world. She changed her name to Nagasaki Nelly and the rest is history.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 0028 UTC »
That's what Amelia said when she defected to the Tojo's on her supposed flight around the world. She changed her name to Nagasaki Nelly and the rest is history.

You should have been a high school History teacher, Pigmeat. The kids would have loved your class  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 0114 UTC »
It's rare to find a public school system where history is taught these days, Chris. It's all about getting the highest test scores in the district and state, in math, reading and science. Public schools have gone to Hell in the past 35 years.

It's why you can have President that can bloviate long and loud about Andrew Jackson's struggles being President during the Civil War, Jackson having been dead for over 15 years before it started, without being ran out of office for being a blithering idiot about the history of the country he's been elected to be Chief Executive of. Half of the country is as woefully ignorant as he is, due largely to being failed by the educational "reforms" of the mid-80's.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 1509 UTC »
There should be a cquam stereo pirate that uses Andy Jackson sound bites as the is.

“You are a den of vipers! I intend to rout you out, and by the Eternal God, I will rout you out."