We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Outgoing FCC enforcement​ guy talks enforcement  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Outgoing FCC enforcement​ guy talks enforcement
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 1448 UTC »
"“We started the conversation on how to do it. You have to be smarter. Cut the red tape. Increase fines. And there really should be a push for states to criminalize illegal broadcasting. It would help to have the states engage the pirates and have them face real jail time,” he said."

So local leos will have df equipment in their cars now?

lol
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 1735 UTC »
“We also created the concept of the tiger teams as a backstop, in case we got the plan wrong and we didn’t have enough people to respond to emergencies. These are quick-response teams based on both east and west coast.

The so-called “tiger teams” are based in Columbia, Md., and Denver.

Denver is on the west coast?   ???

Minneapolis, MN

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 1828 UTC »
http://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/0002/leblanc-office-closures-were-difficult-but-necessary/339830

Anything published in radioworld should be read with extreme caution, as its nothing more than a mouthpiece for the broadcasting industry
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 0203 UTC »
Skeezix, I knew a couple of EMT's back in the 80's who were being sent to Iowa to pick up a local pol who had got himself accidentally shot while hunting the huge whitetails that Iowa is known for. As they were going to be out there a couple of days while the paperwork was being ok'd and the pol cleared to travel, they thought they might drive over and see the Pacific Ocean as it was "Out that way somewhere".

I'd heard those two speculating on some stupid stuff over the years, but that was their best by a long shot. I think that county started requiring basic literacy tests for EMT's to get rid of them as they both were untouchable due to a member of the county commission being one's Uncle and the others second cousin.

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 2045 UTC »
Hey FCC, instead of worrying about some schmuck with a 5 watt TX, worry about the sheer lack of any care about  AM radio and the atrocity that is HD IBOC radio.

Leave my free speech right alone.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 2318 UTC »
What about enforcing the Part 15 rules for the crappy electronics that are polluting the RF spectrum?

If they stop by my place, they can find a bunch of different things interfering across VLF-HF. Then we can go for a short drive to find a whole pile more.  Its super easy... if they want to enforce the emissions from the electronics junk. Maybe they don't want to.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 1643 UTC »
What about enforcing the Part 15 rules for the crappy electronics that are polluting the RF spectrum?

If they stop by my place, they can find a bunch of different things interfering across VLF-HF. Then we can go for a short drive to find a whole pile more.  Its super easy... if they want to enforce the emissions from the electronics junk. Maybe they don't want to.

This would hit China and thusly wall street in the hip pocket.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 2226 UTC »
This would hit China and thusly wall street in the hip pocket.

$$$ $$$ $$$ $$$
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 0238 UTC »
I could take them to the phone company's switching center. The RF from that place can be heard on Mars. Even the local strong stations on the MW band are wiped out for nearly a mile around it. Not to mention it has lobes that propagate further.

BTW, have any of you noticed with the switch to LED street and canopy lights, the companies and cities that still use HID's have cut back on the maintenance of the things? As the bulbs and ballasts slowly crap out they kick out a ton of RF.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 0313 UTC »
I think municipalities are running more on the cheap, thus the crummy maintainance.  The power company doesn't maintain their clearances very well either.  I spoke with one of their linemen, and he told me in the old days 30 years ago before everyone consolidated, they had a crew that did nothing but trim trees and another that maintained the line hardware.  He said those days are long gone.  It used to be they would be on call during weather events and the system was well enough behaved there was nothing to do but play cards.  Not anymore...

I helped a neighbor put up a Cree 50W LED yardlight.  It looks good, has no caps in it to fail, and has a lightning arrester built in.  Its warranty is 10 years, we'll see how long it lasts  :P

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 1626 UTC »
Lol the local lectric sent out a flyer for free led bulbs mailed to your door, so I bit and tried them out. These things made enough hash to stop my scanner on just about every band. I had 3 of them going in a ceiling light and they made full quieting repeater sigs about half hash. Back in went the cfls, they don't make any noise unless you have the radio right next to them.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 1918 UTC »
FWIW I have yet to have any issues with LED bulbs. I have had problems with CFL bulbs, once they are about to die they start spewing RFI. This is sort of a feature, you can then replace the bulb before it dies in the normal CFL fashion - bursting into flames.  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 1730 UTC »
Noise and LEDs seem to be brand specific.  I tried a couple of low end LEDs and about the only thing I have seen with a wider spectrum was the sun, but I have Phillips LEDs in a few lamps here now and no noise on the radio at all from them.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 0040 UTC »
So far the LED bulbs I have (maybe four in the house) are well behaved -- one is maybe 5 ft. from my Sangean PR-D5, and it puts out no RFI -- it does have a slight hum that is just audible to the ear, but no RFI.

The others are quiet RFI-wise, also -- and they're not brand names, basically what you get at a box store like Walmart (can't remember the exact store where I got them).
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).