HFU HF Underground - Shortwave Pirate Radio Forums in North America and Around The World (And other stations that go bump in the night)
    New users are welcome! Please register for an account in order to post to the board.   Posting your logging here is the best way to get a QSL from a station. June 27, 2017, 0152 UTC *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can access the HF Underground wiki here: http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/Main_Page as well as the Radio Hobbyist technical blog

Click here for the: Pirate Radio IRC Chat Java Client

Also the EuroPirate Chat

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HF__Underground

Home   Help Search Login Register  
     Function Generator Pad     
   Audio function generator app for the iPad     

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Band Antennae  (Read 731 times)
Josh

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2017, 1719 UTC »

What do you guys use for low band? Say 25 to 88MHz? Also apparently the eskip is rolling from the midwest to Montana to south of Mehico right now.
BoomboxDX

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 0505 UTC »

A long time ago (before the antenna blew down) I had an 11 meter quad loop that worked real well on VHF low band. I heard guys talking in Louisanan, Cajun like accents talking about oil rigs, and other interesting transmissions between 30-33 MHz or so. And I'm in the PNW.

That, of course, was in 1990 or so and the sunspots were up.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).
ThaDood

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 1052 UTC »

Heck, just use a 102" CB whip antenna. No baseload coils to attenuate higher FREQ's. Or, ya might be able to grab a Low Band VHF commercial 60", or so, whip for nothing. Many commercial dispatchers are leaving the VHF Low Band for UHF, or cell phones, so ya might just pick-up a freebie there. 
Josh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 1536 UTC »

See that's kinda what I was thinking, use a cb whip and be done with it.
A beam as boombox mentions would be nice but more cost and work than I want, just have to find a cheap 1/4w. A beam would open and close the band but I want something simple and omni, the opposite of a beam. Used to have a Francis Antenna model Wheeler Dealer, a fibreglass 1/4w stick that had 3 quarter waves fed in phase bundled inside the fibreglass, same diameter as a standard cb whip, had grossly increased lower angle of radiation over a 1/4w stick in the same mounting point. We mounted the a standard stainless whip and set the fs meter to full scale a few wavelengths away, then mounted the wheeler, the wheeler resulted in a few times more low angle rf power at the same distance and rf power out, blew us away. Sadly they don't make it anymore.

http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/francis/cb_28/ad/index.htm
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 1610 UTC by Josh » Logged
BoomboxDX

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 0647 UTC »

FWIW, my 11 m quad antenna, which I mentioned, was a single quad loop. No second element. Fairly easy to build. It was on a wooden cross frame I nailed together, and I could turn it and aim the lobes NS or EW. But it had pretty good reception in most directions.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).
Looking-Glass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 0743 UTC »

Radio Shack/Archer three radial 5/8 Groundplane CB antenna shortened by three feet done the trick for me! Grin

Mount Piddington, NSW, Australia 3,654 feet ASL (127kms west of Sydney)

Grid Square:  QF56dj.

Yaesu FT-2000D & Tecsun S-2000 to 310 feet of wire, and a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.
ByteBORG
DX Legend

It Is Our Nature...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 1331 UTC »

</me holds a skull>
Alas poor Radio Shack,
we knew Ye well...

+ Listening for that elusive RF from near The Big Windy...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net
Josh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 1421 UTC »

Ah Shakespeare, that rascal.

"My wit's diseased!"
Hamlet

The single loop sounds nice, and I know how well they work. Just before my HAM ticket came in the mail I'd thumbtack'd a wire loop for 6m on the bedroom wall, fed at a bottom corner with coax. The day the license came was a vhf contest and propagation was coast to coast. 3 watts from one of these; http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/930

On the lines of cb antennae, think I'll just get a decent mobile cb ant and mount it in place of the stinger on the disconey. Thanks for the input.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
     RF Link Calc     
   iPhone app to calculate RF Link Requirements     

Jump to: