We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Low Band Antennae  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Low Band Antennae
« on: June 13, 2017, 1719 UTC »
What do you guys use for low band? Say 25 to 88MHz? Also apparently the eskip is rolling from the midwest to Montana to south of Mehico right now.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Low Band Antennae
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 0505 UTC »
A long time ago (before the antenna blew down) I had an 11 meter quad loop that worked real well on VHF low band. I heard guys talking in Louisanan, Cajun like accents talking about oil rigs, and other interesting transmissions between 30-33 MHz or so. And I'm in the PNW.

That, of course, was in 1990 or so and the sunspots were up.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 1052 UTC »
      Heck, just use a 102" CB whip antenna. No baseload coils to attenuate higher FREQ's. Or, ya might be able to grab a Low Band VHF commercial 60", or so, whip for nothing. Many commercial dispatchers are leaving the VHF Low Band for UHF, or cell phones, so ya might just pick-up a freebie there. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 1536 UTC »
See that's kinda what I was thinking, use a cb whip and be done with it.
A beam as boombox mentions would be nice but more cost and work than I want, just have to find a cheap 1/4w. A beam would open and close the band but I want something simple and omni, the opposite of a beam. Used to have a Francis Antenna model Wheeler Dealer, a fibreglass 1/4w stick that had 3 quarter waves fed in phase bundled inside the fibreglass, same diameter as a standard cb whip, had grossly increased lower angle of radiation over a 1/4w stick in the same mounting point. We mounted the a standard stainless whip and set the fs meter to full scale a few wavelengths away, then mounted the wheeler, the wheeler resulted in a few times more low angle rf power at the same distance and rf power out, blew us away. Sadly they don't make it anymore.

http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/francis/cb_28/ad/index.htm
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 1610 UTC by Josh »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 0647 UTC »
FWIW, my 11 m quad antenna, which I mentioned, was a single quad loop. No second element. Fairly easy to build. It was on a wooden cross frame I nailed together, and I could turn it and aim the lobes NS or EW. But it had pretty good reception in most directions.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 0743 UTC »
Radio Shack/Archer three radial 5/8 Groundplane CB antenna shortened by three feet done the trick for me! ;D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 1331 UTC »
</me holds a skull>
Alas poor Radio Shack,
we knew Ye well...
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 1421 UTC »
Ah Shakespeare, that rascal.

"My wit's diseased!"
Hamlet

The single loop sounds nice, and I know how well they work. Just before my HAM ticket came in the mail I'd thumbtack'd a wire loop for 6m on the bedroom wall, fed at a bottom corner with coax. The day the license came was a vhf contest and propagation was coast to coast. 3 watts from one of these; http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/930

On the lines of cb antennae, think I'll just get a decent mobile cb ant and mount it in place of the stinger on the disconey. Thanks for the input.

Offline Duffer

• Liverpool, UK
  • NW England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 0720 UTC »
I'm a UK ham, so can transmit on 70MHz

I use this-
http://www.mirfield-electronics.co.uk/products/me64270-quad-band-6m-4m-2m-70cm-colinear/

It's crap but gets me on the band.

When I hear 'OIRT FM' stations from East Europe I know the band is open...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Radio_and_Television_Organisation

Duffer

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 1620 UTC »
Hey thanks for bringing that up on the HAM multiband verticals. You reminded me I've a few fibreglass comet multiband HAM base antennas in the garage, will have to see if any covers 6m, then I'm good to go.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns