We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR design and architecture  (Read 2754 times)

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
SDR design and architecture
« on: May 29, 2017, 2014 UTC »
Maybe this is scary technical, but is anyone out there designing or building their own software defined radio?
 I think this is a project that is getting more attainable with the myriad of phenomenal parts from Analog devices, Maxim, TI and others. 
If anyone has any Ideas they have been thinking of lately, let me know, especially anyone who has ideas but feels like building an SDR is a big stumbling block.
            My hope if for this thread to be a source of input and feedback for people with ideas so those ideas can be further developed.

so far my main interests in sdr are;
   effecient undersampling to realize higher frequencies with a direct sampling front end
   use of homodyne and weaver architectures in the digital realm to reduce the dependence on processor power for demodulation
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
Re: SDR design and architecture
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 0233 UTC »
 Dont mean to be just talking to myself here, but over 100 views tells me its not a waste,
 Has anyone thought of tuning the sample rate of the ADC in an sdr? Kind of like the LO in a receiver, That way one could move receiver images and aliases around, and determine that your heard signal was actually the desired one?
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 1555 UTC »
This is interesting as long as you do all the work. Lol. I have a hard enough time seeing the pc screen let alone having to breadboard a dsp chip and some adc/dacs and deal with all the incidental signals that will be impinging upon its hapless inners. I'm happy with my factory made sdr rigs and their controlling wares. That being said the utwente sdr rig is glorious and I'd like to build one if a kit was available and cheap.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 1749 UTC »
Everyone has their strong suite, and DSP is not one of mine.  I'm an analog guy that has a hard enough time writing stuff in C to make embedded stuff work.

More power to ya!

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me