We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sideband Preacher Babble 15555 kHz USB WJHR Shortwave 15.555 MHz USB  (Read 6983 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Glenn Hauser's "World of Radio" (I listen via podcast) talked about this some time ago and indeed concluded they're running a fraction of the 50 kW they're licensed for.

This past week's episode (April 2) includes an account of a listener trying to visit the station's transmitter site and not getting too far before turning around for fear of being shot at.

That said, that WJHR signal has been coming in stronger than usual lately to the upper-left corner of the U.S. where I'm located. (Of course, when I just checked it now, I couldn't hear it.)

Indeed.

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,48394.0.html
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline n4mxzimbabwe

• View Profile
I am curious as to the mode of this station.

Per the FCC it should be transmitting aural telegraphy, lol
WJHR is authorized to transmit R3A, which is a single sideband mode with reduced or variable carrier, not a totally suppressed carrier. Curiously, the 'A' designator should be aural telegraphy, not voice and music. Indeed, I can see the carrier, and so the mode is in reality R3E, the 'E' defining voice and/or music. In fact the full FCC authorized mode is 4K50R3A, where the '4K50' defines 4.5 kHz as the authorized bandwidth.

https://transition.fcc.gov/ib/sand/neg/hf_web/WJHR.txt

;D

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 1737 UTC by n4mxzimbabwe »
Radios:
Kenwood TS-950SDX, Flex SDR-1000, Flex-5000A, SDR Play RSP1a, Airspy Discovery Plus, RTL SDR Dongle w/ NooElec upconverter for work below 400 kHz using homebrew preselectors; 130 kHz to 30 mHz, and a special series box of my own design - from 150 kHz down to about 3 kHz.

Antennas:
135' Inverted L vertical (98 feet vertical),  192' N4MXZ Big Zapper horizontal doublet, 496' end fed wire for 630 meters, 750 ft OCFD  @ 40/710', 50' hybrid vertical doublet Small Zapper hung 72 feet in a tree.

Offline sgreenstreet

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sideband Preacher Babble 15555 kHz USB WJHR Shortwave 15.555 MHz USB
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 2109 UTC »
They're still out out there. I found their weak signal about 2100 today.  S5 with fading into western New York.  I'm still wondering why they're using USB.

QTH: Traverse City, Michigan
N8JXQ, just moved and the station will be back up in the spring
"Good Heavens Miss Hashimoto, you're beautiful!"

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns