We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "Observe" August’s Eclipse with Your AM Radio  (Read 2059 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: "Observe" August’s Eclipse with Your AM Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 2236 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 2252 UTC »
Or on your Amalgamated DGPS Decoder!

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/dgps_decoding_software_sdr.html

Y-E-S!

Things are set here to record the day on DGPS (assuming no power outages or stupid f*n winderz BS).

I'm taking the day off. This is too important.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 2313 UTC »
Something else you can do (especially if your area is clouded over) is watch the eclipse via one of the GOES weather satellites, as the shadow tracks across the US.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 2315 UTC »
I am also taking the day off.  If you want to get into an eclipse mindset, let me recommend the quick read American Eclipse by David Baron, published this year.  An account of the "chase" to cover the 1878 total eclipse in the wild west (many of the same areas as this eclipse) by such notables as Thomas Edison - fascinating story.

I am debating whether to carry a portable and spotting scope up a southwest facing 650 foot wooded hill that overlooks my neighborhood or stay home where the radio equipment is located.

For those that like to make plans, the next U.S. total eclipse (April 8, 2024) goes through Northern New England and New York, through Erie and Cleveland, and down through Missouri-Arkansas-Texas.  Undoubtedly, a lake effect spring snowstorm will be blotting the sky from Cleveland through Burlington on that day.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 2328 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 0643 UTC »
I remember that 1970 eclipse. A house had burned just down the road a couple of weeks before. We were all standing in the road with our scavenged "smoked glass" blocking traffic, while we watched it.

I've got a sister that's in the path of totality. I'll probably run over there if I get ambitious. Of course, anything she walks past is in the path of totality.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 0028 UTC »
So -- from this article -- it appears that the propagation expected on the AM band will be a bit different then one would normally think, i.e. it's apparently more important that the target station is located in the path of darkness than the receiver being located in the path of darkness. Cool.

There's a swath of Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming stations that just might be audible here where I live, depending on how strongly the eclipse affects their signals. Maybe KEX, KPNW, a few Salem and Oregon Coast stations, and possibly a couple in E. Oregon (there are a couple there that are usually audible here at night, even though they are 5 kW stations). I'll have my PR-D5 and Superadio switched on for sure.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 0034 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 0121 UTC »
Data from NASA (IIRC), the eclipse starts on the west coast at 1604 UTC and ends on the east coast at 2009 UTC.

I want to record the whole MW band on the SDR during this time, but estimate that comes to about 168 GB of data. Sure better plan accordingly, and figure out which antenna to use. (In addition to the DGPS recordings)
Minneapolis, MN