We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Why am I Still Listening to British Radio in the U.S.?  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Why am I Still Listening to British Radio in the U.S.?
« on: July 08, 2017, 0042 UTC »
Interesting perspective. I personally listen to a lot of London area stations on their web streams when I want some music discovery. Rinse FM,  Sub FM, etc.

As a born and bred Londoner living in the city, I would listen to the radio for around four hours per day during the week and a little less on the weekend..

..But last year I moved with my job to Brooklyn, and I have yet to hear the same quality of broadcasting in the U.S. Being such a heavy consumer of radio, and a fan of so many American artists, I was looking forward to switching my allegiance to the famous U.S. hip-hop stations...

..But when I listen to HOT 97, Power 105.1 or any similar stations, all I hear are commercials, boring chat, and a few Drake and Migos songs played on repeat..

Full article:

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/in-depth/2017/07/radio-uk-vs-us-bbc-npr-kcrw-interview
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Why am I Still Listening to British Radio in the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 1624 UTC »
If I end up in hell I just know they'll be playing hiphop.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 1950 UTC »

I think modern country music is much more likely. No creativity whatsoever. But then again, that's really true of any popular music these days. It just seems ESPECIALLY true of country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 0608 UTC »
I have to agree on one thing: too much talk on music radio. The local FM rocker has a morning talk show that's OK, but the afternoon one is noxious. I'd rather hear music. When I tune in an FM music station -- be it rock, alternative, or pop, I want to hear music, not some big mouths with monstrous egos pretending they're funny.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 1326 UTC »

I think modern country music is much more likely. No creativity whatsoever. But then again, that's really true of any popular music these days. It just seems ESPECIALLY true of country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY8SwIvxj8o

Agreed. Now they just need autotune and Nicki Minaj to write their lyrics.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.