We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Nikola Tesla's Birthday is today  (Read 4892 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Nikola Tesla's Birthday is today
« on: July 11, 2017, 0118 UTC »
Today (Jul 10) is Nikola Tesla's birthday. He could've been 161 today. And we still don't have practical wireless power distribution and have to suffer with RFI on the stupid powerlines.

Danas (10. srpnja) je rođendan Nikole Tesle. Danas je mogao biti 161. A mi još uvijek nemamo praktičnu distribuciju bežične energije i moramo trpjeti s RFI na glupim električnim vodovima.

Данас (10. јул) је рођендан Николе Тесле. Могао је данас бити 161. А и даље немамо практичну дистрибуцију бежичне енергије и морамо да трпимо са РФИ на глупим линијама.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Nikola Tesla's Birthday is today
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 1628 UTC »
Nicky was an amazing man, who fell in love with a pigeon.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 1637 UTC »
If only he'd been a penguin man.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 2221 UTC »
A wireless penguin would've changed the world forever.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 2305 UTC »
A wireless penguin would've changed the world forever.
Aren't penguins already wireless?  ??? This might have been a matter for Marconi, anyway.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 2334 UTC »
Aren't penguins already wireless?  ??? This might have been a matter for Marconi, anyway.

Neurons are kinda like wires, so they could be replaced with some wireless thing.

Tesla was also working on wireless, he had his hands in a whole lot of stuff.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 1419 UTC »

Tesla demonstrated a radio controlled boat. In 1898.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 1440 UTC »

Tesla demonstrated a radio controlled boat. In 1898.

I've got a book of his patents and it's fing huge, he was interested in just about everything it seems. Also, his autobiography, however short, is a must read.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 1605 UTC »
Tesla Quote .... " If you want to find the secrets of the universe think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."

The Adams Power Station was built in 1895 by Geo. Westinghouse  in Niagara Falls, N.Y. using Tesla's AC polyphase technology to harness the power of Niagara Falls. http://www.teslasociety.com/teslawestinghouse.htm . The stations produced electrical power until 1961 when it was replaced by the current Robert Moses power plant. The electriclal power was supplied to the cities of  Niagara Falls, Buffalo, and Lockport NY. The original transformer house still remains and there are plans to turn in into a Tesla Museum.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 1345 UTC »
The man was a visionary!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 1455 UTC »
Tesla did Tunguska!

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 0048 UTC »
 Tesla's death ray caused Tunguska ......https://theunredacted.com/the-tunguska-blast-teslas-death-ray/
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 1544 UTC »
Just a little thing called pair production, kinda like how he did in that french ship.

"The French ship Iena blew up in 1907. Electrical experts were sought by the press for an explanation. Many thought the explosion was caused by an electrical spark and the discussion was about the origin of the ignition. Lee DeForest, inventor of the Audion vacuum tube adopted by many radio broadcasters, pointed out that Nikola Tesla had experimented with a “dirigible torpedo” capable of delivering such destructive power to a ship through remote control He noted also that Tesla claimed the same technology used for remotely controlling vehicles also could project an electrical wave of “sufficient intensity to cause a spark in a ship’s magazine and explode it.”"
https://teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla/articles/death-ray-nikola-tesla

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 1935 UTC »
Spiffy mustache.

He resembles a brilliant CalTech scholar who went underground a century or so back for unknown reasons. The last rumor I heard of him was during the Second World War. Something to do with a ship disappearing from the Philadelphia Naval Yard and reappearing on top of a fellas house in Norfolk either by the name of Graves or Murphy, the last name varies. Ten seconds later it was back in Philly with the crew festooned in t-shirts promoting the presidential campaign of a rabbit back in 1904 and 1908.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 0305 UTC »
To those referencing Tunguska... I see I'm not the only Callahan's fan in here. 

In all seriousness, Skeezix, I love the fact that your post is repeated in English and Serbian.  I certainly can't presume to speak for the man, but I do wonder if Professor Tesla wouldn't appreciate that... 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.