We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pacific utility stations, 13 July 2017  (Read 2818 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Pacific utility stations, 13 July 2017
« on: July 13, 2017, 1320 UTC »
All times UTC. Denver, CO, USA - Grundig Satellit 750 - 1m diameter homebrewed mag loop

Auckland Volmet, 6679 USB, 1150-1155 - fair copy, weak but clear

VMC Charleville QL (AUS), 6507 USB, 1201-1210 - weak copy, clear but only able to make out every third or fourth word

NMO Honolulu, 6501 USB, 1211-1215 - fair copy, transmission sounded distorted no matter how I tuned the SSB BFO.

I also looked for Australia Volmet at 1200 on 6676 USB before switching to VMC Charleville QL, but nothing was there.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: Pacific utility stations, 13 July 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 0648 UTC »
MDK2:  AXQ-429 Australian Volmet (Brisbane QLD) is a strange one, it's always in the red on the meter here, however, sometimes it just doesn't turn up as scheduled (00 & 30) on 6.676MHz USB.

As to the reason why, I don't know.

I have never heard ARA Karachi Radio Volmet from Pakistan on any of the HF Volmet frequencies, have you?  Listened various times, day/night/Grey Line etc but zero.  Maybe they have ceased and handed over to someone else to give out their information.

The Russians have been very active on 8.888MHz late at night an early morning this way.

Shannon, New York and Gander often heard, South Americans however, are a different story. ;D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline prldx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 0801 UTC »
Hi !

I have never heard ARA Karachi Radio Volmet from Pakistan on any of the HF Volmet frequencies, have you?  Listened various times, day/night/Grey Line etc but zero.  Maybe they have ceased and handed over to someone else to give out their information.

I heard them 2 or 3 times, itīs a very rare catch. As signal was always good when I heard them here in AUT, it seems they are on-air very, very irregular - maybe only on request.

Patrick
Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other peopleīs voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 2347 UTC »
I have never heard ARA Karachi Radio Volmet from Pakistan on any of the HF Volmet frequencies, have you?  Listened various times, day/night/Grey Line etc but zero.  Maybe they have ceased and handed over to someone else to give out their information.

Hi Looking-Glass. No, I've never copied those stations, but occasionally I try. I haven't copied any of the stations that Auckland shares its frequencies with, either (Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Honolulu - the latter one being something of a puzzler since it's so much closer to my QTH than Auckland). My guess is that the transmitters are directional and Auckland's is the only one that favor me.

Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 2347 UTC »
I am currently compiling a list of Volmets heard during July here, will be put up in the "Utility" section in the next few days so you can compare... :D

Last night 6, 7 & 8MHz were totally flat, propagation has not been kind in the past three nights.
Condobolin, NSW.

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 0152 UTC »
For some strange reason I cannot hear Hawaii on any of the Volmet frequencies last night, although conditions were very poor. Unusual.
Condobolin, NSW.