We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Marinated Mushrooms  (Read 4928 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Marinated Mushrooms
« on: July 15, 2017, 2013 UTC »
Super easy to make!

Wash some fresh mushrooms, I like to use 16 oz at a time.
Dice or quarter them, based on size.
Cook until just tender in a pot of boiling water, about 5 or so minutes. Then add to the marinade and let sit overnight in the fridge.

Marinade:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup diced onions (red or white)
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon Italian seasonings (dry spice/herb mix from a jar)
1 teaspoon sugar, or equivalent of your favorite substitute
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Marinated Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 2203 UTC »
Stocking up on the "Baby Bella's" at Aldi's, Chris?

I normally just cut them into quarters after rinsing them, put them in a bowl, throw a medium shake of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on them, add some pickled banana pepper rings, shelled salted sunflower seeds, give it a good toss, and throw some shredded cheese on top. I call it "salad". My wife calls it "weird".

I rarely cook mushrooms unless it's something like an omelet, where they go in late and don't reach the limp slimy stage. Canned mushrooms should be outlawed.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 2228 UTC »
Our Aldi's has great prices on mushrooms, 59 cents for an 8 oz package, vs around $2 to $3 at the supermarkets.

I use canned mushrooms in my faux deep dish pizza, but I should try fresh sometime.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 0154 UTC »
I wish I still had my old "skillet pizza" recipes from my late teens and twenties. Everyone else in the family ate Christmas turkey, I made Christmas pizza. It was good once I got the hang of it, but a couple of slices would put you down for the count. Deep dish pizza was generally something you had to make for yourself in those days if you lived outside of the Greater Chicago area.

You can't beat Aldi's prices on mushrooms, but you need to give them a careful once over. They don't seem to have a long shelf life. I've had trouble w/ their milk, too. It seems to turn well before the expiration date.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 1234 UTC »
One thing I have noticed about Aldi's is that they source products from different suppliers, presumably whoever has the best price that week. So it might not always be the "same" week to week. This goes for their processed foods as well as the produce. The prices are in general excellent however. Eggs are usually 59 cents a dozen, for example. The one thing I have noticed that is not cheaper there is butter, it's about the same as the regular supermarket prices, although we tend to splurge on the KerryGold for most of our butter needs.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 1511 UTC »
Marinara is a funny word. Also, one big chain store is trying to come up with ways to beat aldi prices, they're spending 6B as in billion on getting their vendors to drastically cut prices because of aldi spreading and the upcoming lidl chain that makes aldis look pricey.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 0210 UTC »
Today I used mushrooms.

Chopped 'em up. Mixed with ground beef, veal, & pork, chopped leek, sweet paprika, half-sharp paprika, fresh ground black pepper, thyme, rosemary, oregano, a couple of other spices, eggs, and five cloves of garlic.

Made meatballs. Once in a rough spherical shape, then put a lot more sweet paprika on the outside.

Put on the pellet smoker on smoke for about 50 mins (hickory), then cranked up to 350 for 18 minutes util the temp probes said they're done. Came out perfect. Juicy, papriky, and mmmmmm. 

Had a few mushrooms left over, so put 'em on a skewer, with olive oil drizzled on 'em and smoked with the meatballs.

Mushrooms, is there anything they can't be eaten with?

Minneapolis, MN

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 1635 UTC »
Years ago, when Food Network ran the original Japanese "Iron Chef" show as maybe 25% of their total programming (well before Guy Fieri showed up), mushrooms was the main ingredient, and the chairman, in his pompous dubbed remarks at the beginning, quoted Brillat-Savarin on mushrooms as saying "never let them take a bath." (Which came out very memorably, the way the dubbing actor said it. Bath was pronounced "bahth.") He didn't really explain why, but basically you're supposed to just wipe them with a damp cloth or paper towel.

Yeah, I don't know either. I just like to cook them in melted butter and add them to my steak.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 2232 UTC »
A lot of people who do English dubbing in Asian TV shows and movies are Aussie and Kiwi voice actors. That long flat "A" in bath is one of the sounds that give the Aussies away.

One of the funnier things I ever witnessed was an Aussie trying to order tacos at a Taco Bell one early morning in the early 80's. He asked for "tackos", the kids working there were going "What?" He finally started yelling "Tackos, dammit, tackos! This is a Tacko Bell, isn't it?" Everyone in the place lost it when he pitched that fit.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 2319 UTC »
We truly live in an age of wonders. One google search and here's that sage advice, with the explanation as to why you never let your mushrooms take a bahth. Heads up Chris!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMmcGSVNbY
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 2338 UTC »
And clean them right before you're going to use them.

I rinse mine under water wiping them clean. I also rinse the underside... which I will immediately cease.

Have two packs of mushrooms in the fridge and will treat them right from now on.

Minneapolis, MN

Fansome

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 0516 UTC »
You should probably throw a handful of Tums, and a half-dozen Imodium in there, just to give yourself a head-start on your treatment.

Stocking up on the "Baby Bella's" at Aldi's, Chris?

I normally just cut them into quarters after rinsing them, put them in a bowl, throw a medium shake of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on them, add some pickled banana pepper rings, shelled salted sunflower seeds, give it a good toss, and throw some shredded cheese on top. I call it "salad". My wife calls it "weird".

I rarely cook mushrooms unless it's something like an omelet, where they go in late and don't reach the limp slimy stage. Canned mushrooms should be outlawed.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 2206 UTC »
I don't suffer from the gut and intestinal problems you fella's at Shady Acres do, Al. The only thing that ever got me was some bad catfish on a stick I got at the World Anvil Shooting Championships on Col. Sartoris place in Mississippi a few years back. The authorities are still on that miscreant vendor's trail.

Did they figure out who was swiping dentures in the middle of the night at Shady Acres? I understand there is a lot of suspicion about a certain resident who practically lives in the computer room from late afternoon until dawn.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns