We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Papilio Polyxenes  (Read 36970 times)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Papilio Polyxenes
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2020, 1737 UTC »
I have noticed a few monarchs and a few swallowtails this year more than in the past. I have a "Quick Fire" hydrangea shrub that blooms early July and turns pink in August. It attracts numerous pollinators when in bloom due to its heavy scent.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 1739 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2020, 1840 UTC »
Thanks for the reports!
As of 8/9/2020 things are in full swing after a delay for some unknown reasons.
We have released 3 healthy female Black Swallowtails, with 5 in Chrysalis due this week and a bunch of grazers.
 I have somewhat changed my approach, transferring cats to a hidden host plant where the predatory wasps seem to pass over and the plant is smaller and easier to keep track. Two of the 3  BFs were manipulated to chrysalis in an area outdoors easy to keep track of. So far both had a predictable Chrys flying the morning of the 7th day betore 10am .
Others are inside at this time.
We've got continuous laying females daily, and I've seen more Monarchs this year than ever, despite continuing bad news science reports.  As usual though, no action from Monarchs on our milkweed.
Spotted so far this year were Gulf Fritillary, probably blown here by the Tropical storm, and also Tiger and Zebra SWT along with numerous daily BSTs
Thanks for reading and your interest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PSF5JUh0Jl8
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 2257 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2020, 1810 UTC »
Seen way more of the black swallowtails or whatever they're called as opposed to Monarchs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMGhw-FJsuI
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2020, 1228 UTC »
https://imgur.com/a/o0AxuWV

So, 4 monarchs born between 7a-8a (1100-1200 utc  ;D) this morning.  They are in a large Rubbermaid bin with an old window screen atop, all started from eggs collected on milkweed in my yard.  Having just been born, they are clinging onto the chrysalis from which they emerged until their wings dry and stiffen. The netting assists them climb back to the screen when they first attempt to fly.  They will be released just after lunch time to find their first meal.  A big thanks 👏 to Davep who got me started raising butterflies.

The caterpillar on the bottom is oblivious to the commotion above as it works on milkweed leaves.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 1305 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2020, 2202 UTC »
I have not seen many Monarchs this summer, but the other day I was sitting outside in a lawn chair, taking a short break between yard work tasks, and one flew around me, visiting for a minute or two, before flying off.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2020, 1905 UTC »
I've seen Monarchs almost every day this year stopping by our nectar plants.  There have been more locals than in previous years , but still no egg deposits that I know of. 
The migration seem to have begun over the last week , as I have seen several today already.
At least some follow directly along the shore line crossing the Chesapeake bay as I have observed some clinging to Sea Oats less than 100 yards from the ocean on several occasions

We've had 12 Black swallowtail flyaways from our station so far this year, I am leaving the winter generation to mother nature
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2021, 2223 UTC »
First little guy I have seen this summer:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2021, 1352 UTC »

While out on the left coast I could not tend to my milkweed crop as usual and the hired help that cut my lawn while gone was overly enthusiastic about trimming, ergo my milkweed crop is greatly reduced.  However, now that things are about settled home, I did scout about and found this pair of monarch eggs.  They are now resting comfortably in a take out food container (Boys, will be boys  ;D).

https://imgur.com/a/wO7QCk7
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2021, 1450 UTC »
Our station has done well this year , Monarchs seem to have repopulated the area naturally . No problem spotting one most times during the day. 
Some neighbors a block away have reported chrysalis on their milkweed , but like CTY I accidentally cut a few of mine down  with a weed eater.  I plan to fortify the milkweed area next year and move them to a better location since they seem to be around now.
The predator wasps are back with a vengeance on the numerous Black Swallowstail eggs/ larva. I had planned to leave them on plant this year and just monitor, but the wasp patrols all day back and forth getting most within a day or two.  Over the last week or so I have been bringing what I find inside into the take out trays/ hermit crab cage.
Only a few we kept for the kids before Aug , 3 flew I believe.
On a boat trip last week, we spotted a monarch at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay near bouy 13 ,  more than 5 miles from land.
Thanks Chris and CT for the reports !

https://youtu.be/b5ewfYrBU4U

« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 1502 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2021, 1703 UTC »
So, this is how a monarch butterfly emerges from a chrysalis.  This was Sept. 10, it began as an egg we found in the yard then to caterpillar and to butterfly.  The wings get expanded by pumping a reddish fluid into them from the abdomen, somewhat of a hydraulic process.  Excess wing fluid is emptied on the ground. 

https://imgur.com/a/am9ZGka

https://imgur.com/a/sMGfo4Z
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 1714 UTC by Ct Yankee »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2022, 1630 UTC »

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2022, 1706 UTC »
When I was boy, I couldn't figure out why the fish wouldn't bite on those brightly colored cats? They resembled the local catalpa worms and they gulped them down.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2022, 1741 UTC »
Very nice Chris!
This year we have a definite increase in Monarchs visiting my station. I am not sure if this means anything , other than there have been years where we only saw a few total and they were seen during the fall.
This year I see them on a daily basis although in recent years is unusual .
Other flies-  The usual amount of swallowtails were seen this year , although the wasp returned , and we had to move 1 or 2 day old cats to other plants in the mornings.
One day after replacing a cat a 4 yo collected on some parsley, a wasp swooped down and rolled it seconds after it left my hand. Food chain played out right there.
We only raised and released 5 this year so far mainly for the kids, the rest were only moved or left alone, although there was mass carnage from predators- I am sticking to just maintaining a food and host plant source.
Thanks for reading and y’all’s awareness of environmental issues.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 1234 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2022, 1500 UTC »
I've definitely noticed more Monarchs this year. And I saw several new/small caterpillars on the Milkweed yesterday. Also lots more Swallowtails, probably due to 13 new Butterfly Bushes  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2022, 0049 UTC »
I found by accident a Lantana annual we bought at Lowe’s would overwinter here and it stays very busy all summer.  Even saw an elusive Hummingbird moth on it this year .
https://youtu.be/Z8VOtBLN1hY
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 1225 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns