We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Papilio Polyxenes  (Read 36969 times)

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
Re: Papilio Polyxenes
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 1703 UTC »
Swallowtail Black vs Hummingbird on my Zinnias .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy9iUOLEIqo

Only one fly away since the initial post "Lars Ulrich" flew 8/14  , another 3 should fly within a few days
Eggs were laid over the past few days by the one in the video, and is seen checking out a another Anise behind the zinnias
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 0122 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 2212 UTC »
Interesting. The Aztecs thought if you lived a good life you went to a paradise full of butterflies, hummingbirds, and lots of pulque to drink.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 1503 UTC »
Aug 16
Today I found that 2 had emerged from chrysalis. These were of the batch that suffered low viability in the caterpillar stage as I had previously written of. They will not be flying any missions.
I suspect herbicide Roundup (TM) had contaminated the Anise host plants from a Neighboring property being landscaped by Sublime Toxic Gardens advertised as "respecting pollinators ".
While I respect this person as a hard worker, he was observed spraying copious amounts of Monsanto Roundup (tm) upwind from our property.
I cannot prove causation, although the symptoms do not fit any of the parasite or predator scenarios. Rather , a genetic defect or some failure during metamorphosis.
Please do not support use of this chemical or anyone that uses it, although it's difficult to, because at least some of the produce items in the market have been subject to its use.
Ironic this happened after my initial post,or maybe not but i digress. Thanks for reading.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhXuoAOEjA

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 2103 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 2259 UTC »

Sorry to hear about your possible Roundup kill off, just sinful.  But thanks to your original post and guidance, there are 10 chrysalises in my living room and 3 munching caterpillars.  I lost one caterpillar as it was beginning to hang to form a chrysalis.  Hopefully, everything else makes it - thanks for the inspiration.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 0358 UTC »
That's really great CY  8)  And thankyou as well. Can't wait to hear of those guys in the air.

Everything is normal here now and I see some activity each day, and actually collected a few about an hour after my wrant.  We had 3 or 4 inches rain over a week so mother nature hosed down. There's a lot of activity out in the yard now so I stopped kicking over other people's trash cans.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 1439 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 1332 UTC »
It's funny you mention that, Dave. Most of July was a drier than normal. It's been raining above normal since the end of the month and I'm seeing butterflies everywhere. I even got popped by a June Bug the other night, it's been years since that happened.

I'm seeing the full variety of local milkweeds for the first time in years along the local and county roads. I'm wondering if the DOH hasn't switched up on defoliants? Now if we could get CSX and N&W to fall in line. Railroad right of ways were always a huge suburban and urban milkweed and blackberry habitat. They resemble long stretches of 50-75 ft. wide gravel deserts on either side of the bed now and have for years. Butterfly, boy, and wino habitat wiped out by a bunch of suits that never had the privilege of growing up around the tracks.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 1623 UTC »
Thanks for the report!
We drove out US 58 a few weeks ago and I noticed they had defoliated about 25 miles of roadside under power lines.  I saw one area that had drainage directly to the Nottaway River .  Either VDot or Dominion Power or a co op. I guess the instructions on the label are just suggestions .
We need to start raising hell about the spraying of wino and derelict habitat!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 1712 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 2111 UTC »

Uh-oh, I just added up from my last email - 10 chrysalis/3 caterpillars, a BAKER'S Dozen.....shhhhhhh, don't tell Josh.  
Josh - Don't eat the brown acid chryslasis  ;)
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 1618 UTC »
Since I suspect the recently grown buds on my head are going to be feelers, and pretty sure wings covered with a fine powder are morphing from my back, I need to cut back on the monarchs for a while.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 2032 UTC »

The first two monarchs emerged today, two females. An amazing thing to watch, glad I took the day off to watch the eclipse.  My wife dubbed them "Shadow"  and "Sunshine".  Release tomorrow, when I expect another emergence.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2017, 2117 UTC »
Great news
CT Yankee's fly . Well done!

You're good people
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 0246 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 1613 UTC »
Finally seeing Monarchs on (apparently) southern migration.
I managed a video.  
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcUp_4eBHc

This year has not been good compared to 2016 as far as my swallowtail factory.
TS 10 sent salt spray up into the yard and denuded portions of the garden, including the Anise plants and milkweed but not completely. This was a setback and caused another high cat mortality rate I guess when they consumed the coated plants. This is a natural problem specific to my location. So the takeaway is dipping all foliage in water first in the future. There are many hidden mysteries within nature, the more you dig in , the more questions you have.
Looks like less than 15 flyaways this year, but I accept that's how it goes.
Plenty of bugs spotted in the wild visiting this year, I'll take that.

Thanks to Connecticut Yankee for making the thread a success with his participation and hfunderground for the space and readers for their time.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 2247 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2017, 0232 UTC »
Thanks for sharing all this. It's been very interesting these past couple of months.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Fansome

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 0439 UTC »