We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Papilio Polyxenes  (Read 36980 times)

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
Re: Papilio Polyxenes
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2018, 0409 UTC »
The Mexican sunflowers started flowering here recently, the monarchs are more abundant than ever, real nice to see

rgg

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2018, 0536 UTC »
This is good. The dragonflies I raise will need lots of monarchs and swallowtails to consume in mid flight as they do. They can consume several times their weight you know.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2018, 2221 UTC »
Total released for 2018   

Black Swallowtail  = Healthy  20 + 1 naturally on plant without intervention.
                              Not viable  3

Monarch  = Healthy 5
                  Not viable = 0

Total known garden production = ~71 (3 years)

The Anise plants"leaves" were consumed by Sept 5 , although they will begin to consume the seed heads provided they are not ripe.
The volume was 2 large plants and 3 first and second year plants= 21 butterflies max .  We plan to have  first year seedlings in the future, they do not mature by Sept as a rule and were used for the last batch.
Again this year , we nearly ran out of food. There were many cats we left to natural selection as well.
Mature flies are still active in the yard as of Sept 20. 

We were very pleased with the 5 monarchs finally  , it took three years to attract a laying female. We have learned to pinch off growth tips of the Milkweed to encourage new growth over the season and delay seed production , that may be the revelation that we needed for success over the previous fails.

Thanks also to CT Yankee for his participation over the last two seasons, his efforts and reports much appreciated .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw5yMwogtDc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZSrhfV0sUw

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 0314 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2018, 2353 UTC »

The 9th monarch was released here yesterday.  Barely warm enough for it - hung round overnight until the sun warmed things up.  We did have one day that three emerged with 2 hours of each other. Did not bring any swallowtail caterpillars in, dozens seen in the yard up through this week.  Most unique creature in the yard this year: Pileated Woodpecker ( think Woody) on Memorial Day. 
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2019, 1351 UTC »
5 Black swallowtails , 3 today were released 5/31/19 on an early batch found on the p!ants Mid May.  This is the earliest cycle we've seen so far before the Anise was ready and found them on Dill.
No others in the que at this time, but we've never seen cats before June 15 in the past.
The milkweed is ready for Monarchs and is healthy , but we've not seen them so far

Edit ,  saw a Monarch in the yard at 1935z  must be karma
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 2000 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2019, 2015 UTC »
No butterflies to mention yet but saw first lightning bugs the other day.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2019, 1806 UTC »
Monarchs flying through yard daily and laying eggs between 1600-2000utc.  Ct Yankee butterfly farm production to moment: All monarchs: 5 released, 3 chrysalises up, and untold number of eggs/caterpillars in plastic boxes with our own organic 😉milkweed.

Bunches of different butterflies on wild thyme that grows, and I let flower, in lawn.  Swallowtail caterpillars wiped out a planter’s box of dill, was going to go in the pickles we made last weekend (not the caterpillars, Josh.  This wasn’t the Tequila Pickles 😵).  Hummingbird moths (about same size as namesake) are now feeding off flowers in yard.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2019, 1829 UTC »
Random data point: I happened to see a Monarch today while taking a letter down to the mailbox.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2019, 2135 UTC »
Organic milkweed?

Fing hippies!

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2019, 2150 UTC »
Organic milkweed?

Dolphin safe?  ;D

I saw several of the usual Swallowtail butterflies (yellow and black) while outside later in the evening, but unfortunately no more Monarchs. Plus some cabbage butterflies.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 2241 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2019, 0020 UTC »
But does it carry chemicals that fend off penguin venom?

I've been seeing more monarchs in higher numbers the past couple of weeks than I have in years. It's a good year for them here.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2019, 1940 UTC »
I'm seeing some Monarchs this year. No eggs unfortunately although just seeing them is good.
Im up to 12 black swallowtails so far , we had a lull during July but not many cats . They also got our dill this year .
 Davep production farm 4 chrysalises at the moment.  Ive tried some alternative methods this year , because its been a busy summer. Mainly i tried to move the cats to a hidden Anise , away from the popular one we started with and its high number of hungry predators like the innard sucking wasps that just leave the skin like baked chicken. Success was moderate and had them chrysalis on the plant , but some we never saw again.  I have switched back to the indoor production facility to pump up my numbers

We also observed slim Jim ,a Mantis ( Chinese i think -brown) eating a swallowtail like a corncob.  I got a great pic I'll try to post for PM to bring back his memories.

Overall very happy, it doesnt take but a few moments to see something. This year more Monarchs than we've seen in previous years along with Zebra, Tiger and the black varieties, painted ladies, a gulf fritillary and a Red Admiral
No wind born monsanto products and only one mosquito truck .
Word to the CTY production facility and thanks to everyone for your awareness
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 2239 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2019, 2007 UTC »

That looks like one of mine
I accept the food chain even though he's a "come here" Bon appitite , slim 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 1450 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2019, 2118 UTC »
Haven't seen any monarchs yet, but plenty of the black and yellow guys.