We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Don't believe the American Heart Assn.  (Read 7188 times)

Fansome

Don't believe the American Heart Assn.
« on: July 23, 2017, 1914 UTC »
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-teicholz-saturated-fat-wont-kill-you-20170723-story.html

Don't believe the American Heart Assn. — butter, steak and coconut oil aren't likely to kill you
Steak
Grilled hanger steak with smoked tomato butter at Lucques in West Hollywood, Calif. on Sept. 6, 2015. (Los Angeles Times)
Nina Teicholz

Last month, the American Heart Assn. once again went after butter, steak and especially coconut oil with this familiar warning: The saturated fats in these foods cause heart disease. The organization’s “presidential advisory” was a fresh look at the science and came in response to a growing number of researchers, including myself, who have poured over this same data in recent years and beg to differ. A rigorous review of the evidence shows that when it comes to heart attacks or mortality, saturated fats are not guilty.

To me, the AHA advisory released in June was mystifying. How could its scientists examine the same studies as I had, yet double down on an anti-saturated fat position? With a cardiologist, I went through the nuts and bolts of the AHA paper, and came to this conclusion: It was likely driven less by sound science than by longstanding bias, commercial interests and the AHA’s need to reaffirm nearly 70 years of its “heart healthy” advice.

It was in 1961 that the AHA launched the world’s first official recommendations to avoid saturated fats, along with dietary cholesterol, in order to prevent a heart attack. This “diet-heart hypothesis” was adopted by most leading experts, though it had never been tested in clinical trials — the only kind of science that can establish cause-and-effect. Thus, from the beginning, the rap on saturated fats lacked a firm scientific foundation.
The diet-heart hypothesis has been tested more than any other in the history of nutrition, and thus far, the results have been null.

The hypothesis had some backing in preliminary data, and it made intuitive sense — fat clogs your arteries like hot grease down a cold drain pipe, right? — which was enough for AHA officials seeking to address the fast-rising tide of heart disease.

Still, rigorous data was needed, and so governments around the world — including our own, through the National Institutes of Health — spent billions of dollars trying to prove the hypothesis was true. Somewhere between 10,000 and 53,000 people were tested on diets where saturated fats were replaced by unsaturated vegetable oils. The results did not turn out as expected — saturated fats weren’t killing people.

In a stunning example of science ignored, researchers, either unable or unwilling to believe the study outcomes, did not talk about this data for decades. The results of one of the forgotten trials, a large NIH-funded study, were not published for 16 years. Another analysis that failed to link saturated fats with heart disease, part of the famous “Framingham Study,” languished, also unpublished, in an NIH basement.

Starting in 2010, however, researchers worldwide unearthed these studies and re-examined them. Of nine separate reviews, none could find any evidence in the data that saturated fats had an effect on cardiovascular mortality or total mortality. As quite a few of the reviewing authors stated in their conclusions, such results clearly do not support the government’s Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which limit saturated fats to 10% of daily calories, or the AHA advice to cap them at 5% to 6%.

The disparity between these independent reviews and the AHA advisory hangs mainly on the endpoint chosen for consideration. Instead of looking at indisputable “hard” outcomes — heart attacks, stroke, cardiovascular mortality or total mortality — the AHA examined only less definitive “cardiovascular events,” a category that combines heart attacks with much more subjective conditions, such as angina, or heart pain. By using this combined, “intermediate endpoint” criteria, and ignoring deaths, the data can deliver negative findings for saturated fats. But that’s a little like reporting on mid-way times in a marathon while remaining silent about who won the race.

The AHA advisory disregards other data, too. While the nine other papers reviewed an average of ten trials each, the AHA examined only four. And one has to question the AHA’s choices of which trials to review. It excluded, for example, the Minnesota Coronary Experiment, based on the reasoning that the 9,750 men and women who spent a year-plus on its intervention diet did not meet the AHA’s study-duration standard of at least two years. Yet in the past, the AHA has recommended the DASH diet, based on studies of fewer than 1,200 people altogether, and trials lasting no longer than 5 months. As Andrew Mente, a nutritional epidemiologist at McMaster University, told me, the AHA’s choices of what studies to include in its advisory review amounted to “cherry picking.”

That the AHA should be so resistant to updating its view of saturated fats, despite so much legitimate science, could simply reflect the association’s unwavering devotion to a belief it has promoted for decades. Or it could be due to its significant, longstanding reliance on funding from interested industries, such as the vegetable-oil manufacturer Procter & Gamble, maker of Crisco, which virtually launched the AHA as a nation-wide powerhouse in 1948 by designating the then-needy group to receive all the funds from a radio contest it sponsored (about $17 million). More recently, Bayer, the owner of LibertyLink soybeans, pledged up to $500,000 to the AHA, perhaps encouraged by the group’s continued support of soybean oil, by far the dominant ingredient in the “vegetable oil” consumed in America today.

It’s still possible that a very large, long-term clinical trial could ultimately demonstrate that saturated fats cause cardiovascular death, or even premature heart attacks. And it may be prudent to restrict the consumption of coconut oil or meat for reasons that have nothing to do with saturated fats. But over the last half century, the diet-heart hypothesis has been tested more than any other in the history of nutrition, and thus far, the results have been null. If the AHA were to fully reckon with this evidence, it would be backing away from its guilty verdict on these fats. Lacking the evidence to convict, the right thing to do is acquit.

Investigative journalist Nina Teicholz is the author of “The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet.” This op ed is based on a longer analysis of the recent AHA advisory that was co-written with cardiologist Eric Thorn and published this month on the medical website Medscape.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Don't believe the American Heart Assn.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 1930 UTC »
They've painted themselves into a corner, and cannot come out and say "hey, we've been wrong for half a century, sorry about that". Much like the American Diabetes Association, which still tells diabetics to eat a low fat (and therefore high carb) diet. I guess they want more members.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 1637 UTC »
And then there's the water supply/arteriosclerosis/atherosclerosis thing to consider.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 2022 UTC »
Hmmm... An organization passes off a ruling based on evidence that upon peer review doesn't hold water....my doesn't that sound familiar.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 0852 UTC »
Well, if Al says it, it's bound to be true. I generally follow the advice of the Chinese, "Eat everything that doesn't eat you first." 1.3 billion people can't be wrong.

Al, get a pair of tacky gloves like NFL receivers use for your trip. It will help you get firm ankle grip on your chosen victims for the opening "Dipping of the Geeks" ceremony you preside over.

Snatch Gates if you can. He's been needing a good swirly for decades.

Happy dunking!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 1806 UTC »
Hmmm... An organization passes off a ruling based on evidence that upon peer review doesn't hold water....my doesn't that sound familiar.

+-RH

That almost sounds like when Rumsfeld fda ok'd nutrasweet when all the evidence pointed to it being toxic, then somehow ended up working for them after he left fda. When heated to just above room temp it breaks down into formaldehyde, methanol and other nefarious things.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 1949 UTC »
Which sweetener is it that goes in diet soda? The one is supposed to make your spinal fluid turn to grey sludge?  It made me cut back to only one two liter a day. And oddly,I haven't gained any weight in my years of chugging the stuff since a medical condition tore me away from dear friend Beer. I lost weight after I quit drinking beer and switched to the soda, though. Could what I've been hearing about diet soda making you gain weight be wrong? These are confusing times and the country is led by a confused man. What could more fitting?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 1747 UTC »
Ha ha. Mercola. I'll stop now.  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 1557 UTC »
I have epilepsy. When I was diagnosed with it I was advised to give up alcohol except in small occasional amounts. I did. When hospitalized after a massive seizure and suspected mini-stroke, eleven years ago, I was told I was borderline diabetic and needed to lose weight and consume less sugar. I did. I switched from from chugging large amounts cola to chugging large amounts of diet which I'd previously drank only if there was nothing else before that time. In a matter of months I'd dropped roughly sixty pounds and I haven't had a seizure since. My blood sugar is normal, I don't take meds for it, I wasn't affected by the stroke, and I'm as healthy as a horse. Yet I've run through at least a two liter a day of diet soda every day in that period, as have serious caffeine habit and I can't stand coffee.

What I want to know, if I have the preexisting conditions that this sweetener is said to be the most likely to cause, why am I not six feet under? My type of seizure disorder has one in twenty five chance of killing me each time their triggered. If aspartame caused what those articles claim I'd either be dead or on an insulin drip? I can assure you neither has occurred.

Someone fetch me a Coke Zero!

I wonder if aspartame was responsible for Al's case of brain bubbles? Alas, he's left for his trip to the Hollow Earth and won't be back for week. Maybe he'll find Amelia down there along with Belinda's short-lived good looks? We'll just have to wait to find out.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 1622 UTC »
What I want to know, if I have the preexisting conditions that this sweetener is said to be the most likely to cause, why am I not six feet under? My type of seizure disorder has one in twenty five chance of killing me each time their triggered. If aspartame caused what those articles claim I'd either be dead or on an insulin drip? I can assure you neither has occurred.

It's your magic aura. Odin has plans for you.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 1645 UTC »

Potentially bad news for us Coke Zero fans, they are going to mess with the formula: http://www.myajc.com/business/coca-cola-takes-chance-coke-zero-remake/YBATziEGjbgx1jHFZTB2VK/

Supposedly not much of a change. We'll see http://www.myajc.com/business/coke-seeks-ease-zero-fans-concerns/y9HMEahfnb1LftWOR9v8mL/

I was told I was borderline diabetic and needed to lose weight and consume less sugar. I did. I switched from from chugging large amounts cola to chugging large amounts of diet which I'd previously drank only if there was nothing else before that time. In a matter of months I'd dropped roughly sixty pounds and I haven't had a seizure since. My blood sugar is normal, I don't take meds for it, I wasn't affected by the stroke, and I'm as healthy as a horse.

Yep, many folks have eliminates seizures, and the need for diabetic and other meds, by switching to low carb. Plus the huge drop in weight. Eat good, real, tasty food, and get healthier. It really is that simple.

I'll be upfront and say the reason I started the Bacon, BBQ, Beef, And More board was because of the epidemic of diabetes and other health problems in the radio hobbyist community. As a trip to any hamfest will illustrate. But with changes to diet, folks can get better. I lost 90 lbs. And really, isn't a juicy steak better than a bag of chips anyway?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 1650 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 1649 UTC »
I have epilepsy. When I was diagnosed with it I was advised to give up alcohol except in small occasional amounts. I did. When hospitalized after a massive seizure and suspected mini-stroke, eleven years ago, I was told I was borderline diabetic and needed to lose weight and consume less sugar. I did. I switched from from chugging large amounts cola to chugging large amounts of diet which I'd previously drank only if there was nothing else before that time. In a matter of months I'd dropped roughly sixty pounds and I haven't had a seizure since. My blood sugar is normal, I don't take meds for it, I wasn't affected by the stroke, and I'm as healthy as a horse. Yet I've run through at least a two liter a day of diet soda every day in that period, as have serious caffeine habit and I can't stand coffee.

I wonder if aspartame was responsible for Al's case of brain bubbles? Alas, he's left for his trip to the Hollow Earth and won't be back for week. Maybe he'll find Amelia down there along with Belinda's short-lived good looks? We'll just have to wait to find out.

You don't get the headaches or light flashes? Some people seem to be able to handle the toxins better than others. Typically, fat people seem to be able to handle them. Skinny people seem to suffer from the headaches and try everything under the sun to figure out the cause such as mri's, etc tests for brain cancer and so on, and if they'd just stop drinking aspartame they'd go away. This stuff is up there with msg in what it does but I don't think msg was looked at as a chemical warfare agent.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 1719 UTC »
I stopped believing in these so called 'trials' quite some time ago and here is my reasoning;

The biggest reason is these folks that do these trials start with the end finding before they even start.  In other words fatty food or whatever will kill you, now I need to show you why. They don't prove a damned thing they play with the data to make it SEEM like it is so.  

This is an issue with every type of 'science' that is done, to me it is creating false information to enrich whatever or whom ever has given (replace 'given' with bribe) the largest amount of money and a piece of paper with the outcome of the 'trial' written in large letters so the blind assholes aka 'scientist' will get it right the first time.

Also, a number of these, so called 'expert scientist' that get your tax dollars are copyrighting all data, computer models, computer code etc  So they can hide exactly how they came to their conclusion.  This makes it totally impossible for other scientist to test the data, test the computer models and computer code for accuracy.  This is unlike what happens in normal industry.  When you do testing for industry the data, computer model and computer code becomes the property and copyright ownership of the company you work for, in other words it isn't yours period.

Why does this work differently for 'scientist' that get grants from your Government?    

To be a 'scientist' today means you are bought and paid for by someone generally whom ever forks over the most cash.  It is a most sorry state for science.  It leaves persons like myself with a sh*tty taste in my mouth, that taste is a whole lot like soy this or that.  Yes I will not eat anything that has soy in it.

Science today has little or NO credibility.

Take NASA as an example;  NASA is always hyping up the possibility of life on Mars or the Moon or Doctor Who's butt etc etc so folks might tell their Representatives to give NASA more money to check this possibility out.  Well the folks at NASA know, all too well, that it is very unlikely to find life anytime in the near future.  If they do find life it most likely will be a microbe that if it came in contact with we humans if would be worse than the Black Plague.  Welcome to the 21st century folks!

The above example is a bit off topic but it reeks of the truth.

Also here's another reason why most 'science'; and 'scientists' have lost credibility in my mind.  I keep getting pop-up ads with Dr. Stephen Hawking trying to sell me some 'brain pills'... Now I admit I am not the sharpest tool in the box but Hawking hawking brain pills?  Does he think I'm an idiot?  Any jackass knows there is no such thing and he endorses them like he has used them all of his life... To that I say %&&^&#^%^&$*  and leave me alone!

Is it any wonder that I hide my sheepskin under a pile of dirty laundry?

nuff said... next...

vgw

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!