HFU HF Underground - Shortwave Pirate Radio Forums in North America and Around The World (And other stations that go bump in the night)
    New users are welcome! Please register for an account in order to post to the board.   Posting your logging here is the best way to get a QSL from a station. August 16, 2017, 1519 UTC *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can access the HF Underground wiki here: http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/Main_Page as well as the Radio Hobbyist technical blog

Click here for the: Pirate Radio IRC Chat Java Client

Also the EuroPirate Chat

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HF__Underground

Home   Help Search Login Register  
     NAVTEX     
   iPhone/iPad/iPod app to decode NAVTEX marine transmissions     

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FM Pirates in Seattle, WA  (Read 501 times)
Strange Beacons

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2017, 1600 UTC »

Thanks to this message board, I have taken an interest in monitoring the FM band here in Seattle for any pirate activity, especially as I am driving around the city from place to place. (I have the most commonly-used FM pirate frequencies programmed into my car radio and I scroll through them as I'm driving).

So far, I have identified three pirates, one on 87.7 FM and two operating on 101.9 FM:

One is broadcasting modern music on 101.9 FM, interspersed with announcements about street crime and local events taking place in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

The second one is transmitting long spoken word segments on 101.9 FM, in what sounds like Mandarin Chinese, along with "New Age" type music, from my own neighborhood near Shoreline, WA.

The third is broadcasting on 87.7 in the West Seattle area. This broadcast is sporadic and typically only transmits when local community events are taking place.

W9SPY

Almost forgot to add this: With the exception of the pirate in my own neighborhood, the other two are fairly well-known locally, as our local news have done stories on them both.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 1649 UTC by Strange Beacons » Logged
Strange Beacons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 1709 UTC »

The second one is transmitting long spoken word segments on 101.9 FM, in what sounds like Mandarin Chinese, along with "New Age" type music, from my own neighborhood near Shoreline, WA.

Update: My bad. It turns out that the above station is actually a licensed low-power FM station (KQES-LP) out of Bellevue, WA: KQES-LP

W9SPY

tesla

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 1455 UTC »

Maybe one should not give so much info. out on the FM pirates just mention you heard them, why help Charlie Out and make his job easier...
don't take offense just an old radio dogs opinion.
Strange Beacons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 1603 UTC »

Maybe one should not give so much info. out on the FM pirates just mention you heard them, why help Charlie Out and make his job easier...
don't take offense just an old radio dogs opinion.

No offense taken. And I agree with you. That is why I added the line that says that both of the FM pirates in my town have had local news stories written about them, which is how I first heard about them myself. And both of those pirates are themselves quite public and vocal about what they are doing. In other words, I haven't given out any info that the pirates themselves haven't already given out directly to the news media.
Pigmeat
DX Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 1209 UTC »

I'd still keep the chatter about them down for their sake. A lot of folks on the FM side are young and idealistic. What seemed like a good thing to do in talking to the press when you're 18 or 19 can turn into a huge regret a few years later.

That's why I never report the few local one's I've heard from time to time on the internet bb's and groups. FM stations of all kinds are dead easy to df day or night.
Strange Beacons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 1517 UTC »

I'd still keep the chatter about them down for their sake. A lot of folks on the FM side are young and idealistic. What seemed like a good thing to do in talking to the press when you're 18 or 19 can turn into a huge regret a few years later.

That's why I never report the few local one's I've heard from time to time on the internet bb's and groups. FM stations of all kinds are dead easy to df day or night.

I understand and this makes good sense to me.

This is a serious question: Do you think that I should just delete this post, then? I'd have zero problem with doing that. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
     DX ToolBox     
   Radio Propagation Software for Windows and Macintosh     

Jump to: