We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID Indonesian Language & Brief Music, 7000 USB, 0830 UTC, 2 August 2017  (Read 2342 times)

Offline l0ngwire

• View Profile
I am hearing several OM talking in what sounds like an Asian language on 7000 USB at 0830.  Several are talking at the same time; there are short bits of music.  I don't think they are 40 meter hams--probably "freebanders".

The signals are somewhat weak on my 50 foot longwire antenna here in Santa Barbara, Calif., and are much stronger on the KFS SDR in Half Moon Bay, California.

Any idea what the language is?

[Mod Edit: Edited title of thread since this has been IDed as the Indonesian chanters or village radio nets often heard on 7000 kHz LSB and other frequencies]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 1819 UTC by R4002 »

Offline l0ngwire

• View Profile
Here's a short clip of 7000 USB, recorded 24 hours after my previous posting: https://clyp.it/a4tznbly#

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
They are Indonesians, "gitto" means over to you and "gandi" means received in Bhasa Indonesian.  They also "chant" together in large groups with one station controlling the melee.

They are located throughout Indonesia and and usually run on Lower Side Band on 7.000MHz, commonly referred to as "village radio" stations in this part of the world.   :D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline l0ngwire

• View Profile
Looking Glass, thanks very much for the ID and information.   I plugged your info into Google, and it looks like these Indonesian chanters have been logged on 7000 USB for at least seven years. 

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
You can also find them on 6.990 & 6.995MHz Lower Side Band too, however, the main group is on 7.000MHz with the most participants... :D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.