We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Ghostly Radio Station That No One Claims To Run  (Read 2860 times)

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: The Ghostly Radio Station That No One Claims To Run
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 0206 UTC »
As soon as I read the start of the article I thought 'dead hand' / doomsday machine sort of station.

As soon as it's off, all bets are off.

But it seems no one really knows what the station is for. No one in Russia is talkin'.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 1520 UTC »
Just another FanCo subdivision. Currently we're using it to track Al and his pal from Pasadena on their cruise through the Hollow Earth. Wait until they pop out in Antarctica in a few days. Boy, is Al gonna be surprised when he finds out what's waiting for him there! Surface dwelling beings much higher up on the Fansome Scale than the Morlocks and Moho Men they expected to encounter on the inside.

Boombox, isn't the "dead hand machine" operated via a spring loaded roll up window blind connected to a straight key in the deserts of Australia?

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 2025 UTC »
^^^^^^LOL

Yes, "On The Beach" -- that was a true 'dead hand' machine, in all aspects of the term.

What a haunting novel and movie...
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 2130 UTC »
China and Russia have spent zillions on perfecting neutron weapons for the sole reason of leaving infrastructure intact yet killing off enemy populace. In the 50s and 60s nuclear war would have been very messy, nut today it might not be the end of the world as some say because everyone has neutron devices. Well, it'd be the end of the world in the blast zones, but the global nuclear winter may be just a mild nuclear fall. A half hour after they pop a neutron, you can push the dead bodies away from the dinner table and finish their dinner.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 0600 UTC »
Thanks for the reminder, Josh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VKzqAefBVY
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 1724 UTC »
Lol one of my fave movies!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 0027 UTC »
Jimmy Carter beat those guys to the punch with the neutron bomb forty years ago. We told the Soviets we were going to stop development, but it remained part of the black budget. We've got neutron bottle rockets that our troops can deploy anywhere they can find bottles, cans, or an old hunk of pipe. We're still experimenting with Neutron Roman Candles. At the moment it's in the "Getting rid of that S.O.B. that mows his lawn at 7 a.m. on a Sunday morning" testing stage.

It worked on the guy across the street, but I don't know how it's going for the other beta-testers? Anyone want a slightly radiated, self propelled push mower? BTW, he mowed his lawn in shorts, dress shoes, and black socks. A timeless suburban style statement. Sometimes he did it with the same footwear and in a bathrobe. Children don't need to be traumatized by a sight like that on the way to church. It was either shoot him or nuke him after he went to the robe option.

There's a man shaped spot in his yard where the grass won't grow, not even the finer hybrid's derived from test plots from Bikini Atoll will take. One thing about landing a direct hit on your subject is they disintegrate on impact. No evidence.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 0306 UTC »
Lol one of my fave movies!

Me too. One of the few movies that I've owned in multiple formats, from hometaped VHS, to storebought VHS, to DVD, to Criterion Blu Ray...
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 0315 UTC »
Good old Sam Cohen. He fathered the neutron devices, he also said red mercury would work too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzi0gjzXCzg#t=40.042416

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 0009 UTC »
These kinds of sensational reporting stories really do get under my skin.  In this one of the venerable Buzzer they push the Dead Hand slant, completely ignoring the fact the Buzzer has broken down and quit dozens of times in the last few years, and who knows how many times before that, and we are all still here.

And wasn't the blind-and-Coke-bottle operated straight key in San Diego?

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 0138 UTC »
Token, you're probably right. I haven't seen it since HS. That was roughly the same time as the First Battle of The Marne.