We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Unidentified Volmet 8.005MHz USB.  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Unidentified Volmet 8.005MHz USB.
« on: August 02, 2017, 2258 UTC »
This morning around 1645z I came across what appears to be a continuous Volmet transmission on 8.005MHz USB, female announcer, good English language announcing "temperature, dew point and QNH etc".

Signal report was 3X1 to 4X1 at best with considerable interference.  Did note what appeared to be a digital burst every few minutes, but probably not related to the Volmet transmission.

However due to the weakness of the signal I could not ident which airports she was announcing, she was still there at 2030z but virtually unreadable as Grey Line conditions applying.

The transmission appears to be continuous as I tuned in for 20 or so minutes trying to ident the airport weather she was announcing but no luck.

This station does not appear on any of my Volmet listings, the only one close at the bottom end of 8MHz is 8.070MHz USB from La Paz in Bolivia.

Any of the team here on HFU help with solving this one please? ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unidentified Volmet 8.005MHz USB.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 2303 UTC »
I have the YL at 2302 UTC with fair signal here on 8005 USB.....I'll record it and see if I can pick out any details of note....

The ID by YL sounds like "Military One Time(?) Information Broadcast.....this is the old RAF Volmet!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 2326 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 0137 UTC »
Skipmunk:  Thanks for that, interested to find out as not listed on any Volmet listings on the web.  ;D
Condobolin, NSW.

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 0645 UTC »
Nothing further heard on 8.005MHz USB from the unidentified Volmet, propagation has dropped back too but did listen numerous times during night/morning last couple of days, nil! 

Maybe it was a test transmission for some reason?
Condobolin, NSW.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns