We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Icom IC-735 Rotary Encoder Photo Transistor Substitute  (Read 5489 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Icom IC-735 Rotary Encoder Photo Transistor Substitute
« on: August 04, 2017, 2036 UTC »
I recently dug my Icom IC-735 out of storage. I remembered the last time I used it, the tuning knob was flaky. Well, this time it wasn't flaky anymore, it was dead. After some troubleshooting, I determined that one of the phototransistors on the rotary encoder was dead. It's a Sharp IS-433, which has been obsolete for some time. The replacement Sharp IS-486 is also obsolete, apparently. But some searching around on good old eBay turned up a Chinese (of course) seller with some IS-486s. I got 5 for $6 shipped. They arrived just 11 days later. I just swapped out the component, and the substitute works great. Plus now I have 4 more left over for when the other one dies  ;D

I believe this part is used on several other Icom rigs as well, so something to keep in mind if you have one that uses it as well.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Icom IC-735 Rotary Encoder Photo Transistor Substitute?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 1510 UTC »
Well, good to know, as the main tuning knob on my bro-in-law's IC-735 has a flaky dead spot on it as well. It's been that way for years, but hasn't died, yet. Right now, I just use that rig to listen to my AM Carrier-Current station AM610 with a 2" wire on the SO-239 connector. Surprised on how well that transceiver sounds on AM RX with a decent speaker behind it. Score one for Icom there.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Icom IC-735 Rotary Encoder Photo Transistor Substitute
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 1524 UTC »
The encoder can also have an alignment issue between the LEDs/phototransistors and the wheel with cutouts that spins between them. It is fairly easy to remove the encoder and adjust them, if this is the problem.

Yeah, the 735 is a nice little compact rig! I got mine used from someone that used it mobile in Germany.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 1720 UTC »
They also suffer from the dread Murata plastic vco/bfo cap issue where they start to degrade causing all sorts of broadband noise. Next time you're deep in the guts of a 735 you might just swap out the plastics with some ceramics.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 1911 UTC »
Yes they do, along with the R71A. I bought the replacement caps years ago, but it is a PITA to remove the RF shield to swap them out. And I have no idea where the replacements went  ;D

So what I do is every so often rotate the trimmer caps back and forth a few times, which wipes of the crud, and the VCO behaves again, at least for another year or two.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD