We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DXing Baseball August 11-12, 2017  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
DXing Baseball August 11-12, 2017
« on: August 11, 2017, 2308 UTC »
I last did this four months ago.  Now that sunset is before 8pm here, it's worth doing again. One last go at it in late September.  As always, noted stations are at least 75 miles away from me.  To be continued throughout the evening....

2300z 660am WFAN New York. Excellent reception - Red Sox at Yankees Suzyn Waldman giving Yankee defensive starters. Then the umpires for the game.  Tony Pena bringing out Yankee line up.

2306z 710am WOR New York. Excellent reception - Mets at Phillies  Josh Lllewellyn giving Mets starting line up.  Notes that Dominic Smith is getting first start.

2309z 1500am WFED Washington, D.C. Excellent reception (stunning as sunset is 45 minutes away) - Giants at Nationals Charlie "A light rain is falling, a heavier rain is expected.  The start of the game will be delayed.  Buster Posey is not in the starting line up for the Giants." Discussion about Pablo Sandoval's failure with Boston, return to Giants.

2345z WEEU 830 am Reading, PA. Excellent Reception Mets at Phillies "Granderson has a play on this and he's got it.  A man still on base for the Phillies with two outs."  Phils up 3-1.

0005z WSYB 1380 am Rutland, VT.  Good reception.  Red Sox at Yankees "Now 3-0 to Betts.  He has 18 homers, 70 RBI's. Sox up 2-0 in the third"  (Red Sox network)

0024z WVMT 620 am Burlington, VT  Fair reception.  Red Sox at Yankees. "The 2-2 to Judge..he swings and misses, strike 3.   At the end of three, 2-0 Red Sox"  (Yankee network)

0032z WTAM 1100 am Cleveland Excellent reception Indians at Rays "The no hitter is still alive for Carrasco.  At the end of 5, 5-0 Tribe here in St. Pete."

0038z WLW 700 am Cincinnati. Good reception. Reds at Brewers "He walked the lead off man and has fallen behind Pena 2-0.  Ground ball to third and he will go to first.  1-0 Reds here in the bottom of the second."

0048z WBEC 1420 am Pittsfield, MA Very good reception. Red Sox at Yankees  "3-0 Red Sox after the home run.  The home plate umpire is looking to break up the conference on the mound, we're in the fifth inning." (Red Sox network)

0055z WTSN 1270 am Dover, NH Very good reception Red Sox at Yankees "Here is Torreyes, he struck out his first time up - he drives one off the left field wall for a double.  Sox up 3-0 in the bottom of the fifth." (Red Sox network)

0105z WSCR 670 am Chicago Very good reception  Cubs at Diamondbacks "WSCR Cubs Pre-game show.  Welcome to Phoenix, Arizona as the Cubs take on the Diamondbacks"

0114z WLS 890 am Chicago  Excellent reception Royals at Whitesox "Runner on second one out.  Second time around, pitcher has to make adjustments.  Lopez delivers, down low 1-1.  Fly ball to center, now two outs.  Sox up 2-1, top of fourth."

Would have had one more if Montreal affiliate of Jays on 690am opted to broadcast them instead of CFL.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 0856 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: DXing Baseball August 11-12, 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 2342 UTC »
I've always enjoyed these. If you can give scores too...  ;D
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 2349 UTC »

Will do, sir!
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 0138 UTC »
I'm in a poor place for DXing baseball, although I've gotten U of Nebraska softball on a station from that state, or a few of the non-KOA stations (usually in western Kansas) that carry the Rockies. Usually I have to wait for the Cardinals to go on a trip to the west coast, and get the game on KMOX 1120. (That's the only clear channel station carrying a MLB team's games that's in my range - not counting KOA of course.) When they're home, the games are usually over by the time it's dark enough to get it here. However, I might get some of the home games now that the days are getting shorter.

0210 case in point, the sun has just set and I'm getting the Braves at the Cardinals, St Louis up 6-1 but just walked someone in the top of the inning. KMOX 1120
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 0212 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 1251 UTC »
It's weird you mention that, MDK. Growing up in the southern Appalachians in the days prior to air conditioning when many stations in the East signed off at 10 p.m. and midnight, I'd lay out in the front seat of the car trying to sleep and tuning in baseball games. After roughly 11 p.m. the stations from the Great Plains and Mt. West would come slowly rolling in carrying Minor League and American Legion ball.

If you were really lucky, when noise levels were down, you could occasionally hear the Dodgers and the Giants from the West Coast but that was a once or twice a summer thing at best.

Those days are long gone.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 1713 UTC »
If you were really lucky, when noise levels were down...

Those days are long gone.

You got that right.
Minneapolis, MN

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns