We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 40 years ago today....  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
40 years ago today....
« on: August 16, 2017, 1501 UTC »
My reputed father died. I never bought it, my Pop wouldn't dye his hair or die on the crapper. Huhuh..uh.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: 40 years ago today....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 1604 UTC »
I'll take that peanut butter an nanna sammich an a box of jelly donuts right over there. Thankyouverymuch.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Online MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 1735 UTC »
My reputed father died. I never bought it, my Pop wouldn't dye his hair or die on the crapper. Huhuh..uh.

Either way, we'll be thinking of your reputed loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpb4ZAAP6Z4

I'll take that peanut butter an nanna sammich an a box of jelly donuts right over there. Thankyouverymuch.

He got those sandwiches here in Denver. He'd fly up from Memphis, have someone call ahead to make it and bring it out to Stapleton (the former DEN airport, now a neighborhood while the new DEN [called DIA locally] stands over the government's secret bunkers) where he'd eat it in a hangar, then fly back home. I guess it probably took about three or four hours of his time, but I'm basing that on how long it takes to fly from Denver to Chicago. Memphis may be closer.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 1859 UTC »

The provenance is if;
1) you've ever been a hunka hunka burnin love
2) you've ever been caught in a trap and can't walk out
3) you've ever been an angry young man face down on the street with a gun in hand

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 2251 UTC »
My paternal Grandma's family has run a cut flower business and greenhouses in this area for over one hundred years and going strong. Whenever Elvis would come to town, the guy would clean out the supply of budding roses, hundreds of the damned things. He snacked on rose hips and this was one of his stocking up points when heading north and east out of his native stomping grounds. He was one odd dude.

One of my female cousins always delivered flowers to the hotel he stayed at, she was a huge fan. She would pull up with the boxes, one of the "Memphis Mafia" would inspect them, she'd sign off on them and away the flowers would go. The year before he dies she turns up to deliver the flowers. Same routine, except a car pulls up from the other way, blocking her in. She's ticked because it's late, she's got 20 miles one way and it's hotter than the hinges of Hell. She signs off and is ready to unload on the driver when she finds herself face to face with Elvis and his crew. She drops dead away in a faint. The bunch of them get her revived and when she comes to, she sees Elvis again and out she goes!

When she finally gets her wits about her one of Elvis's crew tells her to wait, they've got something for her. She's figuring it's probably a wavier. A guy comes out with a Manila envelope. They've hooked her up, two primo tickets for the next night's show waiting at the "Will Call", (The thing had been sold out for months, it's good to be the King.), autographed photo's and programs, and her name on the guest list to get backstage. She and her sister went they had a blast.

I couldn't stand Elvis up until that time because most of his local fans were a bunch of older redneck greasers who guys like myself, high-browed long-haired rednecks, were always butting heads with in the early/mid 70's. (Pretty damned silly, eh?)  I still didn't care for his fans, but from then on, Elvis was o.k. in my book. Anyone who does my favorite cousin a solid is alright with me.

We still give her the biz about her fainting fit, but that's what family is for. I should give her a call for the anniversary. She, her sister, my Mom, and my Aunt, (Dad's sister), all rabid Elvis fans, went down for the 5th Anni., an adventure that's still legendary in both families. Anyone need any Elvis Dirt?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 1617 UTC »
My bros mother in law is a huge elvii fan. She was at one of his concerts and the woman in front of her caught the hanky Elvis tossed to the crowd after wiping his sweat drenched brow with. She grabbed that poor womans arm and yanked it around behind her in a rasslin move till she relinquished said hanky, it now rests in a place of honor in her home, I've seen the relic however can't account for its authenticity but I believe her story. I suspect one day she will obtain and use the Splice 'O Life gene splicing kit to recreate another Elvis or even Elvii!