We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Professional Broadcast Tower Climbing Video Stirs Up Controversy  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Professional Broadcast Tower Climbing Video Stirs Up Controversy
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 1231 UTC »
There's a tower outside of Charleston,WV that's 1760 odd feet more or less,but it's on top of a mountain. You can see the thing from 20 miles away. It's just off US Route 60 if you're ever in that neck of the woods and want to take a look at it.

The sucker collapsed in an ice storm a few years back,but it was rebuilt. It was a freakin' miracle it fell towards the SE. Any other direction and it would have tore through houses on the way down.

I knew a union electrician over that way. His company had the service contract for the monster. They hazed apprentices by making them go up and change the light on top of the thing.

I understand it started out as 1/4 wave antenna for a radio station on 580 khz. in the 40's and was added on to by a guy who bought an early Fox TV affiliate in the mid-80's. He had plans to create a super-station for the mid-Ohio Valley but I think his partners bailed on him.