We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Low Carb Pizza - Real Pizza!  (Read 2092 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Low Carb Pizza - Real Pizza!
« on: August 29, 2017, 2322 UTC »
My wife came up with this recipe.  The secret is to use the Mission low carb tortilla. And to pre bake it first so the resulting pizza is not soggy. It really does turn out like a real pizza.

Nutritional info:
Fat: 62g
Saturated fat: 33g
Total carbs: 34g
Fiber: 21g
Net carbs: 13g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 42g

For these ingredient amounts:
1 tortilla
4 oz cheese
1/4 cup Don Pepino pizza sauce
24 pepperoni (we like Bridgeford)

Pre heat your oven to 350F, we find that convection mode (325F) works best, however.

Here's the tortilla to use:

Place on a non stick baking sheet if you have one:

After baking 14 minutes:

In this case, you want to pre cook the pepperoni to remove some of the grease, or the pizza will be too soggy. Place between two paper towels (only one shown here otherwise you would see... just paper towels) and microwave for 30 seconds:

After microwaving:

Don Pepino's is a great brand of pizza sauce to use:

Add pizza sauce:

Add cheese. She likes to use a four cheese blend, but of course you can use just mozzarella:

Add pepperoni and bake for about 8 minutes:

Looks like pizza:

Sure looks like pizza to me! Tastes like pizza, also. And under 15g carbs!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 1616 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Low Carb Pizza - Real Pizza!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 0016 UTC »
Ooooooo, that looks tasty.

What about some time under the broiler to get the pepperoni crispy.

Which then leads to, how about this on the pellet grill. Smoke it for a while, then crank up to high to finish.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 1039 UTC »
I used to make a similar thing in a toaster oven with two flour tortillas, leftover carne asada and Monterrey Jack cheese in a double stack. The trick was to go light on the salsa, just a very light covering on each. The bottom one was covered with a layer of carne asada after the salsa was spread, then a light sprinkling of cheese to cover, the top tortilla was placed over the bottom one w/ just salsa, given a good shot of cheese, and the foil sheet they were prepared on was slid on to the top rack of the the toaster oven, preheated to about 450 F. Toaster oven temps vary a lot, it's easier to keep an eye on the things cooking than to recommend specific minutes, and allowed to cook until the cheese on top was melted and barely starting to bubble. That was breakfast in my 20's. I like salsa verde for this one, but it's up to you.

You can make a microwave version in under a minute and a half with finished corn tostada shells on a paper plate. With the microwave, you cook until the cheese is just melted. If it bubbles, you're going to get cheese that resembles and tastes like melted plastic when it's cool enough to eat.

It's funny reading Chris's report, but 8 minutes was normally what the double stack finished at in that old toaster oven. I didn't do the pre-bake, but I didn't use as much sauce either, probably a quarter of the amount Chris used on that single tortilla on the entire stack. If you're fan of thin crust pizza's and can't get the crust down, this a dead easy way to go.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 1618 UTC »
I updated the post with some nutritional info.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree