We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ***** Ozy Radio Returns ******  (Read 2674 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
***** Ozy Radio Returns ******
« on: August 29, 2017, 0724 UTC »
The flea-powered Ozy Radio has begun testing on 5045 kHz in the 60-meter band. First noted here in Australia on August 28, the station has been missing for several years from its former 3210 kHz allocation. The location has been reported as Razorback, New South Wales, but I have not been able to confirm this yet. The transmitter power and the type of antenna are also unknown at this time. Observations by myself and other Australian listeners have noted the station operating between 0600 and past 1300 UTC.

The signal into Mount Evelyn, Victoria (at a guess, about 800 km from the reported transmitter site) is very strong – about 10 dB over S9! This is a much better signal than was ever heard on the old 3210 outlet. Whatever has been done at the station appears to be working very well! I believe there is a very good chance that Ozy Radio will be heard internationally!

The current programming consists of test transmission announcements, relays of the Australian Independent News service, and continuous antique pop music from the 50s and 60s. Cheekily, the station is also using the Radio Australia interval signal, while the RA kookaburra also fires off every now and again throughout the broadcasts. I’m not sure how the ABC feels about that!!

Here is a short video I prepared of the test announcement and email address given out at 1356 UTC.

https://youtu.be/L1nm7zzcFN0

UPDATE:
The current power output is 500w and the location is now confirmed as Razorback near Camden approx 45 km southwest of Sydney. Thanks to John Wright for the eQSL statement and information. John also reports that reception reports have been received from as far away as Germany.

Here's hoping that you guys in the US can catch this one!

73, Rob Wagner VK3BVW
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: ***** Ozy Radio Returns ******
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 2237 UTC »
Heard last night 29th August 2017 between 0850-1100z on 5.045MHz AM not overly strong with a 4X3 report at best, probably due to the fact that Razor Back is on the other side of the mountain ranges from here and also propagation not existent as within "local" distance factor.

At 02 and 32 minutes past the hour I heard the old Radio Australia style "Waltzing Matilda" jingle played too, ongoing music play list otherwise. Got snippets of male announcer mentioning something about a "test transmission" and also "gmail" heard.

VK3BVW...funny thing last weekend was listening to ABC Grandstand Radio with the AFL match of the day on Medium Wave and they announced at intervals "Across the ABC News Radio, local radio and Radio Australia network with live AFL."

No one has told them that Radio Australia no longer exists? ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 2239 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 2245 UTC »

Maybe they'll pick up where Radio Australia left off.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 2015 UTC »
I set up my SDR to record last night, and was rewarded with reception here in the USA!  From 0848-1147z, although the last half hour was just a weak carrier. Poor quality, but the Waltzing Matilda IS was quite obvious.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline VK3BVW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 0353 UTC »

VK3BVW...funny thing last weekend was listening to ABC Grandstand Radio with the AFL match of the day on Medium Wave and they announced at intervals "Across the ABC News Radio, local radio and Radio Australia network with live AFL."

They are referring to Radio Australia's online streaming audio. It's just another outlet for ABC streaming over the web.
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,

Offline VK3BVW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 0355 UTC »
I set up my SDR to record last night, and was rewarded with reception here in the USA!  From 0848-1147z, although the last half hour was just a weak carrier. Poor quality, but the Waltzing Matilda IS was quite obvious.

Very nice, Chris. The Waltzing Matilda IS certainly cuts through, even on weak signals.
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 0445 UTC »
Looks like they are near 24 hours operation now, coming in 5X9 plus 15dB over on 5.045MHz AM at 0430z.  Heard most of the morning (my time) up until 0059z.

Fellows in NA/SA might be able to log it on Grey Line verges.
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 1223 UTC »
A carrier again this morning but no usable audio. The geomagnetic storm likely was not helping things. But I will continue to check mornings for them, while trawling the lower bands for tropical SWBC, beacons and other interesting stations.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree